Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is 8 to 15acres enough?

Old 01-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Spike

Default Is 8 to 15acres enough?

We recently had to sell out 400acre farm, and I now have 8 acres, is that enough to hunt whitetail deer? What kind of land/wildlife management should I do?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Reminds me of the poem

It was the best of times; it was the worse of times.

The smallest I ever got was on 100 acres bounded by houses and apartments, with two ingresses and outlets.

Your optimism certainly exceeds mine. But for one day of hunting, you never know. The adjoining property owners might never hunt.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

Well there is so many variables in this we would have to know first. 1. where is your 8 acres on the map? 2. whats surrounding it? 3. What do you have on your 8 acers the deer will want? It is possible to use it but your not giving yourself alot of room. I would food plot a few acers and hunt that in the fall. And it depends on what they do with the acers around you during the off season.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Spike

Well across the creek is about a 200acre farm, and the previous owner of my land said that a lot of deer move from that farm onto my land, most of my land is wood, and about a 2acre field, and on the other side of my land is about 30more acres of wood, I'm also looking to buy that
Old 01-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERwv52
Well across the creek is about a 200acre farm, and the previous owner of my land said that a lot of deer move from that farm onto my land, most of my land is wood, and about a 2acre field, and on the other side of my land is about 30more acres of wood, I'm also looking to buy that
Then food plot the whole 2 acres and if the wooded area stays the same you should have them moving onto yours to start there night of feeding befor they move out to the farm and cross back through your place to get back to bedding area.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

My main woods that I hunt is 70 acres that I own 20 of. See alot of deer and also take deer out of the property. However one of our most productive plots is a little 4 acre woods.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Spike

What type of plots should I use? Im located in central West Virginia
Old 01-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BP_Niccum
Then food plot the whole 2 acres and if the wooded area stays the same you should have them moving onto yours to start there night of feeding befor they move out to the farm and cross back through your place to get back to bedding area.
Great idea here, I completely agree. If you have the best food source around the deer will follow. I have an urban spot that I hunt that is a little over an acre. This year the CWD took out most of the deer but I think it will rebound quick next year. If there are woods around your area I'd put up a trail camera on a couple trails. If your afraid of trespasers, I'd put the camera up about 10 feet and let it run for a few months and see what you get. Even if the bucks drop their antlers you'll still be able to get a good idea of the deer using the land.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fastetti
Great idea here, I completely agree. If you have the best food source around the deer will follow. I have an urban spot that I hunt that is a little over an acre. This year the CWD took out most of the deer but I think it will rebound quick next year. If there are woods around your area I'd put up a trail camera on a couple trails. If your afraid of trespasers, I'd put the camera up about 10 feet and let it run for a few months and see what you get. Even if the bucks drop their antlers you'll still be able to get a good idea of the deer using the land.
Fastetti got a good point about getting the trail cameras up and see what you have going on. There is so many variables about food plotting, your soil composition and time of year to plant what, Thats somthing you need to do some research on Im not going to tell you Im the Know t all of food plotting cause that just isnt the case. But thers alot of info out there this may help http://www.diydeerfoodplots.com/

Do let us know how its comming along!

Best of luck

Niccum
Old 01-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Spike

Thanks guys, I mostly hunt out of a stand, should I put one on the creek bottom?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.