Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Which stand placement?

Old 01-03-2013, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Which stand placement?

In a spot on public land I have never hunted I saw deer on my way out of the WMA. It was about 6 p.m. and they were standing in this field, but obviously I do not know what time they actually came out. I was surprised to see this as the field is near one of the WMA parking areas and figured those woods were highly pressured.

Although I have scouted out and hunted many areas with fresh sign, I am just not seeing any deer this late season. Since I know that some deer are seeking out this field early in the evening, I think it may be my best shot at getting a doe before the season closes in two days (and tomorrow the wind should be perfect for it). The biggest problem is the size of this field. It is nearly 3/4 of a mile long and 300 ft wide. Not all that wide but super long. I see my choices as:

1) Climb up a tree that gives as much of a view of the field as possible. If deer come out to the field one may be within range.
Pros - least intrusive, increases range
Cons - deer may not enter the field until after legal shooting hours, could result in deer out of range

2) Scout the edge of the woods to find the most heavily traveled routes to the field and climb a tree inside the woods.
Pros - better educated guess as to where the deer will be and would see deer that didn't enter field until nightfall
Cons - very intrusive, lot of ground to cover and quietly scout with climber on back without alerting deer

3) Forget the climber (too noisy for late season deer) and still hunt the edge until you find a likely spot!

4) Just hunt the areas you've already scouted and hope the deer show up!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

Well man If I were you in this situation Id go in about afternoon and set up with the wind in your face in the timber edge away from any place they would likely enter it from. Deer normaly enter danger areas with the wind in there face so its always a safe bet to think of the deers tactics as smart and let the dumb ones surprise you. Play it safe set up in the timber with the wind in your face and away from there entry into the field if they are comming in early and nothing has spooked them yet they will give you an oppertunity. I wouldnt recommend stomping around tryoing to hunt them entering as you havent scouted or hunted the area yet so your odds of disterbing a pattern is high. Get in there sit down dont move let the deer get in and start feeding and then use the cover to get yourself the shot you need.

Good luck show us some pictures
Niccum
Old 01-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ditto BP

Go late morning, keep the wind quartering AWAY from where you saw them.

You could scout them this way but it's a low percentage tactic and just as likely to spook them as to turn the tide.

Better to take a chance, keep the wind cone AWAY from their likely entry points and Spot & Stalk when the opportunity presents.