HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   The perfect slug gun for deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/377292-perfect-slug-gun-deer.html)

hossdaniels 01-03-2013 07:45 AM

Pass throughs do make for much better blood trails on any non drt's. If I had the option, I'd prefer load strong enough to pass through. That said, slugs do have higher than average drt's.

TDC 01-03-2013 08:58 AM

The 3" AccuTip has a bit more get up and go. The Federals have been effective for me too, but they seem to have a little more drop than the Remington.

nchawkeye 01-03-2013 09:09 AM

Except for arrows I simply don't worry about pass throughs...

A lung shot deer is going to die quickly and usually drop within 75 yards...
There will be blood after a few yards as they will bleed out of the nose and mouth...
Even with pass throughs sometimes the exit wound gets plugged with other matter...
Typically bullets that stay in a deer create a wider wound channel and drop the animal
faster...

If you want to drop them on the spot, go to a high shoulder or neck shot...

tight360 01-03-2013 09:11 AM

I did miss speak....

Originally Posted by snapper1982 (Post 4023302)
no sir you did not miss speak. and the way the srtical is written i can see how you came to what you said. but i am limmited to slugguns for deer and thats what i grew up using so i know a little about slugs and there is not a slug made that only has 1 inch of drop at 200. i just didnt want people to think and start telling others that slugs dont have any drop is all. the slug you mentioned is a fantastic slug

And I posted the article so everybody could read it. I use shotguns for home defense, I use my .444 when the going gets rough in the swamp and Bear.

BOWHUNTERCOP 01-03-2013 12:54 PM

Myself and my friend both have the 220f both set up the same, same scope, same mounts, same ammo, remington accu-tip 3", both of us shooting the same groups. The first week of December 2012 my friend shot a 375 # dress weight bear at 60 yds., the bear went 15 yds.

BRUSE 01-03-2013 02:35 PM

YEAP!!! I have the same slug gun...its AWESOME!!!

GED 01-03-2013 02:58 PM

The mast crop has been good, and we had a mild winter last season. It has been my observation (after taking 7 deer this season) that they seem to be "fat and healthy". Maybe this has effected the penetration.

As for blood trails, I have had very little. One dropped almost right away, but the other two did the "death run". I found little blood for the first 50-75 yards before finding the deer over 100 yards away.

My bullets were mushroomed, no as symmetrically as the picture posted, but expanded and retained mass.

I would hate to learn my lesson the hard way. I'm new to slug guns so I don't have the experience that many of you have.