Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I broke the Golden rule!

Old 12-31-2012, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default I broke the Golden rule!

I started tracking waaaay too soon on a doe I hit with my CB this evening at 4PM. I got a good hit and she ran back into the thicket where she had come from. I listened as she ran, then heard a loud crash, and all went quiet. I ASSumed she had crashed for good, so I took up the trail and was finding good blood, and also my bolt, then came to this bed. I'd been pushing her! I backed out, and I'll find her in the morning. With the snow she should be easy to locate. I just hope the fox don't get to her.

Just waiting for a half an hour would probably have made all the difference in the world. It just shows, it's ALWAYS best to wait unless you actually see the deer go down.
Attached Thumbnails I broke the Golden rule!-img_1453-custom-.jpg   I broke the Golden rule!-img_1452-custom-.jpg  
Old 12-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

that sucks sorry man hope you find her in the morning
Old 12-31-2012, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

sucks but with all that blood i bet she'll be dead by the morning, unless the blood clots. good luck!
Old 12-31-2012, 04:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also shot this deer on New Years Eve back in 2010 (also at 4PM), but I saw this one drop! New Years Eve is lucky for me.
Attached Thumbnails I broke the Golden rule!-img_0280-custom-.jpg  
Old 12-31-2012, 05:07 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Hope you find it. Yes, 30 minutes minimum is what I wait too. If I heard the crash like that I would have been tempted too.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

With blood like that im shure shes down for good best of luck in the AM!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Spike

Hope you find her. Our hunting buddy did the similar thing one two different deer last year. The only difference is he should have waited longer. Both times he only got 1 lung, one deer he had to slit its throat because it was past legal light the other was still in legal light so he was able to put another bolt into. Wasn't a pretty season. He's made up for it though by taking 2 huge doe both of which died in about 40 yards
Old 01-01-2013, 06:24 AM
Banned

i do not think that "bed is from your deer. look at the blood and that blood appears to be from a running deer. it is not pooled in the bed which is exactly what would have happened if she had laid down. with that amount of blood loss there would have been a massive blood pool in that bed. i bet you just didnt go far enough
Old 01-01-2013, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Snapper, i was thinking the same thing. unless i saw or heard her jump up, i probably would have kept on the trail. hope you found it this AM.
-jake
Old 01-01-2013, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by snapper1982
i do not think that "bed is from your deer.
It was from my deer, because I took the top of my hand and layed it on the bare leaves, and they were still warm. All of that isn't important anymore, because I didn't find her, even with all of that blood loss. I followed on and off blood for 3/4 mile, then it stopped. Searched for 4 hours, so I can say I gave it a good effort. I'll be getting back in a little later today for an evening hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.