Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
best late season hunting strategy >

best late season hunting strategy

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

best late season hunting strategy

Old 12-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Spike

Default best late season hunting strategy

I have been struggling to see any deer after gun season and the rut. Had some nice bucks on our property, but they seemed to have disappeared. There are no other hunters surrounding our property. Just wondering if anyone had a suggestion on what to do.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

I still hunt, mainly because I get too cold if I sit right now. I still hunt the edges of known food sources in the late season. I typically will see deer, I haven't shot one any later than Dec. 10th though.
-Jake
Old 12-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Find

Find the does. Late season is about stalking and edge hunting. Find bedding areas and stalk the entry's and exits.

A push may be more productive. Find the thickest stuff you wouldn't want to get into and with a few guys, push it.

If that's not an option, keep the wind on your nose or quartering to and push that same stuff. Keep in mind deer will want to watch downhill with the wind at their back or quartering from behind.

Late season is tougher but the Hardcore will still put up deer.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

around here it is food, food, food. Deer will often eat and bed in picked corn fields just for the simple facts that they can see anything coming from a 1/2 mile away. The only variable that will push them off the food source is weather. The bucks are done rutting and have lost alot of fat and energy due to the rut and now it is all about FOOD.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Yep,food and cover. Nastiest undisturbed cover(deer must feel secure regardless of quality of it),near a desired food source. Could be close as a hundred yards.
Bucks need to recover or die before bottleneck of winter. Does will use such a set up too when pressured. Its go where people don,t! And where you can see or scent them first if they do.
I know winter isn,t on you like here but its still a good tactic for deer to not get caught exposed during periods of human activity. Once fawns that are going to have been in estrus and does that didn,t get bred cycle again, its about rest and recovery.

Last edited by monoped; 12-23-2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: add does cycling again
Old 12-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

It really depends on the area you are in, but you probably heard of the "Second rut". Last year between Christmas and New Years I saw bucks chasing does. I was on a short ladder stand (8 foot) in a fence row pretty much with open fields around it. I shot a doe that was being chased by a good sized buck. The doe ran in a little circle and went down. The buck started to circle the doe! I yelled at the buck and he did not care. I had to get down and then he wandered off. A little doe pee at this time of the year might be in order. I have had it bring in doe also if they appeared in heat.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

I have alot of deer on the camera, however they all come in after dark. Its a bummer cuz there is a very large buck who shows up almost every nite. Drivin me crazy!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:06 AM
Spike

Thanks for the advice guys. I sat up in thicker cover and saw a really nice 8 pt. Just couldn't get a shot off.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Getting closer!
Years ago an area i hunted i sat a ridge usually,could see any thing going in or out about 10 acres.
Another regular who hunted it called the spot he hunted the thick. And it was!
But when i was seeing a deer now and then,he a couple hundred yards past where i could see was seeing many more. Other areas similar. Good hunting to you.