Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Chicory and Clover

Old 12-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Spike

Default Chicory and Clover

I am thinking about planting Whitetail Institute Chicory Plus(chicory and clover mix). they recommend a soil ph minimum of 6.5 and my soil is at 5.5. If i were to add lime about a month before i plant would it grow ok? Also is it better to plant in spring or fall? thanks
Old 12-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I might recommend using clover and then over seeding with chicory(chic magnet)

I used chic plus, and it worked fine, but it's mostly clover with a little chicory, vs. 50/50 etc...

I plan to do this for my next food plot.

do a soil test or send them your info and they'll tell you exactly what to do...
Old 12-17-2012, 12:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since you know your PH I'm assuming that a soil test has been done? If you use pellet lime it will start to work faster, however it will not last as long regular lime. Regular lime will take six months to start changing the PH level. The clover and chicory will grow any way with the current PH level, right now the level is not at the optimum growth level for the plants.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:30 AM
Spike

ya i did get a soil test done. Ill plan on putting down pellet lime around March and throw down the seed in April, thanks for the help.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

Soil test and fertilizer a must.

I use Tecomate, had better luck then using Whitetail institutes.

Also after is sprouts up go to your ag coop and get a few pounds of Ladino clover and over seed.

When it gets about 7" tall cut it back to 5" and that will help it grow even better and cut back the weeds.

I know the deer love the chicory in my areas