Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ground Setup

Old 09-17-2003, 10:15 AM

Default Ground Setup

I finally found the buck I am going after in a couple of weeks. He is a good 8 point with pretty decent mass. One problem though. The alfalfa field I have been seeing him in doesn' t have a single tree around it. It has some high grass from a dry pond, but that is about all the cover around. Anybody have any ideas for a good ground setup. No time to put in a ground blind and have the deer get used to it. I just got permission for this farm, but I am trying to get permission on the farm they are bedding on, but it is not looking good, so my best bet is this field they are feeding in. Any advice would be appreciated.

Good hunting.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ground Setup

Sometimes puting a chair just a few feet from the trail they use to get to the pond will be a good thing to do. Make a blind with a tree branch, and some of the high grass. It should blend in fairly well.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hay bails or build a natural brush blind on the edge
Old 09-18-2003, 04:47 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-18-2003, 05:04 PM

I think the pop up blinds work great for situations like this. I set up in the middle of a power line and had a buck walk out RIGHT in front of me. He turned and looked at me once and then kept feeding. Definitely worth the money! (2 minute set up too!
Old 09-18-2003, 05:15 PM

Hay bails or build a natural brush blind on the edge
Last time I sat next to a hay bail I got hundreds if not thousands of little bugs all over me.... I had a fun time getting the bugs out of every little crack in the gun.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Schemy get as close to where they bed as possible, set up at least 2 ground blinds using the existing natural cover. The secret is to break up your outline from the front and behind you. Hunting from the ground makes hunting the wind CRUCIAL! Make sure you have the blinds set for the wind, if the wind is not right, skip hunting the area!
Old 09-20-2003, 08:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Be like the buck , they frequently bed in tall grass when feeding during the day since it saves them energy that they would otherwise use up by walking . I somtimes use a turkey hunter' s rig for hiding in tall grass . It consists of one of those low set seats to keep me off the ground , combined with a fanny pack with lots of pockets to carry in assorted lures and calls .

I' ve often accidentally jumped bucks out of grass patches that wouldn' t cover an animal bigger than my black Lab . Talk about a britches filling experience !
Old 09-20-2003, 09:39 AM

i agree with ramone.i leave mine on a pipeline all year.have been watching bucks going to and feeding on persimmons this past week and hope there are some left by oct. 1st.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:40 AM

i started using a ground blind last year on a pipeline i have hunted for years.i just replaced it with the outhhouse.been sitting and watching 4 bucks go to a persimmon tree in past week.one of the 4 bucks is the biggest i have ever seen while in the woods.my ol man will be on tree close by the persimmon on oct. 1st.the blind is strictly for gun hunting.

Quick Reply: Ground Setup

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.