Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Squirrel's Nuts?

Old 12-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Squirrel's Nuts?

Just how many nuts/acorns do you think squirrels on your property eat? ie... how many do they take away from deer?

Could less squirrels mean more deer?
Old 12-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

Who knows, I shoot them every chance I get, so my data is bound to be flawed. They make great gumbo, Brunswick stew, or chicken salad. I would guess it makes no difference, they've been living together in the woods long before the white man stepped foot on these shores, both are survivors.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky
Who knows, I shoot them every chance I get, so my data is bound to be flawed. They make great gumbo, Brunswick stew, or chicken salad. I would guess it makes no difference, they've been living together in the woods long before the white man stepped foot on these shores, both are survivors.
White deer hunting? bow? gun?

What do you use? .22 rifle? pistol? pellet gun?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

With all the acorns on the ground, trust me there is plenty of acorns for all the creatures in the woods. My worry isn't about the squirrels taking away the acorns from the deer. My worry is busting my ass trying to get to my stand!
Old 12-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default lmao

Funny question.
My impression is the squirrels help the deer by hiding acorns. The deer, having better olfactory equipment and probably better instincts, find these acorns and 'steal them' from these aboreal creatures.

So in response, I think the squirrels lose acorns to deer rather than the other way around.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by salukipv1
White deer hunting? bow? gun?

What do you use? .22 rifle? pistol? pellet gun?
If I'm not in the mood to archery hunt early in the season, I'll take a stroll with my 12 gauge and just squirrel hunt. If there are acorns falling, it can be an action-filled afternoon.

Later in the season, I'll bring slugs & some #4s with me (smoothbore shotgun), if the deer hunting is slow, I'll change loads & blast a couple squirrels. I've shot squirrels before with a scoped .22, but most of the time I hunt in a suburban setting, I don't feel too good about sending a .22 hollowpoint through the treetops.

I never shot an arrow at a squirrel yet, I'm sure it would be fun, but arrows & broadheads are just too @#$%^&* expensive.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

I think it depends... If I am in the deer stand then every squirel in the woods is fighting over acorns right below my stand... If I'm at the house they are sitting outside the window bugging my cat... worthless little rodents!