Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Michigan misdemeanor question... >

Michigan misdemeanor question...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Michigan misdemeanor question...

Old 12-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Spike

You are right, lying is never a good thing, but I could have told the officer I didn't shoot a deer this year and not even be in this situation. I know that isn't the right thing to do, but you know that anyone who actually does intend to double up on tags would have said that and gotten off with no charges. Not very good justice in my opinion.
I guess it isn't really the DNR officer that I am irritated with. It is the judge who sounded like he didn't know the first thing about hunting or what I was even there for. Put me in front of someone who understands the situation. Heck, I still don't understand why I just didn't get a fine on the spot instead of having to go to court. That seems a little overkill to me.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I sort of agree that the Officer should have figured if you told him what you did that you were being honest. However, we have already covered why he probably wrote the citation. This was really a case of self incrimination when you come right down to it, and if you hadn't said anything, which was your right when he started asking questions, he would have had nothing to go on and you would have been home free unless he got a search warrant for your home and was able to find the deer that you killed and didn't tag. He probably wouldn't have gone to that extent because the search warrant would probably not have been issued without more evidence to suspect a violation had occurred. Don't blame the Judge either as they have way too many things that come before them to be well versed in them all. Were you not allowed to explain the entire situation before a verdict was rendered because you have said the Judge didn't know anything about the case? The whole reason for you going in was for the judge to hear the facts of the case in order to render a proper decision. Otherwise, a ticket could have been written requiring a certain fine payment and then if you wanted to contest it you could have asked for a Court hearing within the prescribed time on the ticket. Was the DNR Officer present in Court?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by AquamanPSD
not trying to make anyone mad but the whole thing kind of sounds sketchy to me. that is probably the feeling that the DNR officer took as well, as will the judge. If you had a bow why would the officer even bother you instead of looking for the person that really did shoot? why would someone call the DNR if they heard a gun shot during deer season?

X's two!

(Double red flag on your story) Don't make sence to this cowboy!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
X's two!

Why would I post a fake story on the forums? What exactly sounds fishy to you?

As I said before, it wasn't gun season.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Spike

Topgun 3006, it was an arraignment, not a trial. He asked if I pleaded guilty or not guilty and then after pleading guilty he gave me a chance to explain what I was guilty of. There were a few people with traffic violations that pleaded guilty but after explaining themselves the judge entered not guilty plea on their behalf. I assume this was because he thought they had a good excuse. No, the DNR officer was not there.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
X's two!

I assume DNR was bored since it wasn't gun season. People shoot guns when it isn't gun season all the time. They probably figured it was just a paranoid neighbor and went to check it out anyway. When they saw someone tracking a deer (us) they probably got suspicious. I put my bow back in my car and grabbed my backpack before going out to track. They most likely didn't believe me the entire time and by the time they did believed me, the gun shooter would have been long gone. Why am I explaining this to you?
Old 12-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

Kraker, I beleive you. A long time ago when I started bow hunting, I made an honest mistake. Got arrested by a city LEO, and got the third degree. Went to court with some 200 traffic violations, domestic violence, etc. Went to talk to the DA before seeing the judge, and she didn't have a F@#$N clue what to advise me, so being her BOYFRIEND was a Conservation Officer, she called him, My fine was essentially set by him and man was it steep. Not everyone that makes a mistake is a poacher, more likely some dumb azz like me that messed up. Live and learn brother.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

This is a very strange story. You shot a doe and " forgot to tag it" you shot a doe a month ago and wasn't ever tagged. You never tagged it??? That is a big fine here in Wisconsin, a small step down from poaching. YOU NEVER " FORGET" TO TAG A DEER. EVER! Then you go out and use the same tag twice??? If this is anything close to what happened you are one lucky guy to only get stuck with 250 bucks or so. The season is almost over anyway. And don't even think of going rabbit hunting this year. If he catches you so much as shooting tin cans in the woods you're going to get it twice as bad. Something is wrong with this story if I'm reading it right.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

Mistake or not, I think you really got off easy, Here in Mn They (the DNR) take pouching very seriously . Here in Mn, what you received would be considered a "slap on the wrist" I am NOT judging you,just making a statement, Good Luck
Old 12-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Spike

You must be reading it wrong. Either that or I suck at telling stories. Your right, I never tagged it. They day we found it I didn't have my license on me since it sat overnight we quartered it up and put it on ice right away 1/4 mile away at my parents house.
I never thought about it again after that until the whole ordeal with the DNR. Only after I handed him my tags did I realize that I forgot to get rid of the tag. I wasn't trying to use it twice...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.