Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
East Central Illinois deer herd decimated by EHD. >

East Central Illinois deer herd decimated by EHD.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

East Central Illinois deer herd decimated by EHD.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man, that is horrible, sorry to hear something like that, especially when its out of your control. I guess I have to count myself lucky. We hunt the Peoria/Fulton County area and it has been one of the better years we have had in a while. I've seen more deer than I have in a while. I was also in southern Illinois to for first gun season and had really good luck as well. From what I've heard, it can be devistating in one spot, then 5 miles away no effect. If were lucky we won't have anything od this caliber again for a while!.

Hopefully your herd recovers fast!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Here's the EHD distribution map posted by the IDNR updated 11/30/2012.... Scarry, consider yourself lucky if you haven't been affected.

IDNR Distribution map

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/news/Doc...tionsept30.pdf
Old 12-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

can you eat deer with this disease?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by the blur
can you eat deer with this disease?
The disease has a mortality rate of 80%, some deer survive. The disease cannot be transferred from deer to deer. It is transmitted by a midge/biting fly. Some deer can carry the disease for a bit before getting a fever, in which they search for water and sometimes succomb to the disease.

That being said, if you shoot a deer with the disease, it has no affect on humans if you should eat it.

There's a hope that the deer who survive, build an immunity to the diease and pass it on to their young..
Old 12-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wow

That sucks guys.
Hope your herd recovers quick.

Come to Catskills or Adirondak Park (above the Blue Line) NY for the interim.

Big Mountain Deer. Maybe not the heavy racked bruisers from Pike Co. and thereabouts but you will not regret the experience.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Here in West central Indiana about 20 miles from Clark county whitetailcrazy its the same way. Quite a few deer have been found dead. I havent seen many deer at all...
Old 12-04-2012, 02:57 AM
Fork Horn

Deppedy Dogg, I never thought I would say this... I may be looking elsewhere in the state to hunt and contemplating going out of state to hunt.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by whitetailcrazy
I feel your pain..
We used to hunt in Clark Co. until the owner sold the property and the new owner does not hunt nor allow it. Here in Clinton and Bond Co it was the same story, no deer!!! I hunted all day all 4 days of second season and nothing!!!!! Saw only 3 deer at dark while leaving and nothing during the day.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man that sucks. I hope it doesn't take forever to get the herd back at least somewhat decent. I guess you'll have to see how the state handles it, and if they shut down doe seasons next year, etc. We've had a couple real small run ins with EHD in the areas I hunt, but nothing like what you are mentioning. That is crazy. I guess the only positive is you should be able to find some nice skulls instead of sheds this winter. Not really a positive I guess.

Funny you mentioned CWD. IMO, that whole thing is absolute BS. I hunt in WV & VA where CWD has been found and it amazes me at what they are doing about it. I personally believe CWD has been around forever (like other diseases), and nobody really cared or worried much about it until the big buck area's had a run in with it and it threatened an economic impact. Then everyone jumped on the bandwagon, and it ain't done a thing to change it, but create headaches for hunters.

In VA in like 6 yrs of testing they have found 4 deer total. I'd be willing to bet you could test for 6 yrs for ANY disease whitetails are known to carry and find 4 that had it. WV doesn't have a ton (I don't know the exact number) but I know its very few actually considering the deer numbers in the affected county and they have been testing for like 8yrs I believe now.

I believe these diseases are just God's way of thinning out the herds, there are certainly too many deer in alot of areas. Not really complaining, I like a nice herd...its certainly better to go out and see deer most times I hunt, than when I was young and rarely saw any.

Good luck to your folks in IL.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

I have noticed lower deer numbers at my farm in schuyler county,but still shot some nice bucks in the area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.