Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting Fawns

Old 11-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Banned

For herd management, shoot the older does before the rut. Reduces number of does available for rut (bucks look harder for partners), and reduces herd pressure on available resources.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Spike

only way I would shoot a fawn is if there was spots still on the animal around middle of october and on...that 1 deer alone will mess the breeding up for the whole deer herd on your property...she comes into heat late gets bred and then she will have the fawn sometime she popped out, and it cycles, you want to shoot fawns in a scenario like that...rather than that I personal will not unless I am absolutely starvin!!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

I seen on a hunting show 1 time and this made alot of sence to me. For herd management purposes you want to shoot the doe fawns and dry does. Doe fawns for sure because they cant breed for a year and that saves all the brows for producing deer. made sence to me.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot nubby bucks already but only late in the year like now. They are smaller but have more meat than a doe fawn. I passed on a mom and doe fawn Sunday. The fawn was so small it was a pitty to shoot it. The mom was a big deer but without the mom the first pack of wolves to come by this winter would have it for dinner.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ihookem1
I have shot nubby bucks already but only late in the year like now. They are smaller but have more meat than a doe fawn. I passed on a mom and doe fawn Sunday. The fawn was so small it was a pitty to shoot it. The mom was a big deer but without the mom the first pack of wolves to come by this winter would have it for dinner.

That is what I would have done also. I know some hunters that should consider this.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm just saying...if you haven't eaten a fawn, you're missing out!!