Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: where have they gone?
I over hunted them out of the area
14.29%
They found a new food source and changed their routes
28.57%
The bucks went to find an area with more does
57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Where have my deer gone?

Old 11-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Spike

Default Where have my deer gone?

Hi everyone,
My hunting partner and I have been hunting a small piece of woods in a suburban area and our deer sightings have gone way down the last two and a half weeks. We went in and set our stands long before the season and set up a couple trail cameras. The first wierd thing we noticed was that three out of four of our pictures are bucks, usually its the other way around getting way more pics of does than bucks. I chalked that up to the fact that bucks and does dont always use the same trails. At the start of the season we hit it hard, hunting this 50 acre piece of woods twice a week (we each have a couple stands in there). At the beginning I was seeing atleast 1 deer each afternoon or morning sit. After the first two weeks or so It started to slow to a deer every other sit and now to I haven't seen a deer in two and a half weeks. I am pretty sure that I only spooked one deer (I was climbing down and didnt know it was there because it was dark) and I am crazy about scent control and none of them acted like they smelled me (none blew or stomped at me). All of the deer that I saw from my stand were bucks I didn't see a single doe, my hunting partner sawall bucks and one doe. So I have three theories on where the deer have gone: 1 I over hunted them out of the area. 2 They are going to a different food source and changed their routes. 3 The bucks left to find an area with more does. Let me know what your thoughts are!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 02:04 AM
Fork Horn

If the only thing you had on cam is bucks..... They went looking for some tail
Bucks will travel for a doe, and if you don't have one they're gonna go find one.
They also "lock down" a doe and sometimes bed up for days...
Old 11-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Spike

Default where have all my deer gone?

Do you think they will be back after they chase down a few does? They have good food and cover there. Should I try to find another place where there are some does?