Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
leaving climber in woods for scent control >

leaving climber in woods for scent control

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

leaving climber in woods for scent control

Old 11-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Spike

Default leaving climber in woods for scent control

I rolled the dice and left my climber in the woods. It is private ground, and technically only I have permission to hunt, but reality is others are there. reason I did is scent control. Just this morning despite my best efforts does winded me just donwn wind 10 yards. Im hunting a buck that been coming there, and I was about 25 feet up. They didnt bolt, just got nervous and slowly moved off. Im thinking Ill let it sit there and absorb the woods smell rather than have it hand around house. ALso, soaked it with fresh-earth scent killer I normally use, so they can get used to that. My only concern (aside from it being stolen) is that having it at the base of the tree then gone when Im there will alarm them. Any comments>?
Old 11-18-2012, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have left mine in the woods on several occasions but I put a cable and lock on it at the base of the tree. Killed a 13 pointer last year and an 8 point the year before doing this.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

might not be the stand, play the wind...did ya leave alll yer gear out there....if not they are gonna smell ya anyways. store yer stuff in the horse stables, best thing ya can do.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

They didnt smell the stand, they smelled you. My only fear of leaving my climber out there in the woods is thieves. And if they didnt bolt and slowly walked off, more than likely they couldnt identify what was "out of the norm" and letting all the others know there is potential danger in the area. I wouldnt worry about your stand, worry about your scent control (clothes, pack, etc.) and your movement while on stand.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Spike

Mine is hung on a tree during bow season and taken out at the en of rifle season. +10 on the scent control. Get downwind and you'll be fine.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

I had a climber stolen a couple years ago on public hunting ground. I have over a 1/2 mile walk to my spot. I left in the woods because it was a steel tree stand that was heavy. It didn't bother me that it was stolen, it was the most uncomfortable stand I ever sat in. I had planned on taking it to the dump at the end of the season anyway. Saved me the trouble from taking it out of the woods. However took my stand is probably kicking himself in the butt. "This stand is a P.O.S.!!!"
Old 11-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Spike

I store my climber year round in large leaf bag with dog fennel, wax mytle and cedar.