Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Is duck season going to ruin my deer hunting? >

Is duck season going to ruin my deer hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is duck season going to ruin my deer hunting?

Old 11-17-2012, 03:40 AM
Spike

Default Is duck season going to ruin my deer hunting?

Hunted a stand this morning that my camera had some pics of a nice 8 point with a wide spread and high tines. Got in the stand around 5:30 and right before daylight I could hear the deer eating my corn I put out. Soon as I had enough light I put my scope on them and saw it was 3 nice does. I figured that nice buck would come out and if not I would just get a doe for the freezer.

Well next thing I know I felt like I was in Red Dawn and the Russians were invading cause it sounded like WW III. Of course those deer bolted and the shooting kept going for an hour so I said hell with this and went back to the house.

Our deer season has been going for 2 full months now so natually the deer have become pressured. If Im going to have people duck hunting every morning and afternoon and unloading more ammo than was used during D-Day is it even worth going to my stand? My land boarders a river so people will be duck hunting pretty much every morning and evening. Is deer season unofficially over or will they start moving around again after all the shooting stops and I should just hunt later in the morning through lunchtime?
Old 11-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt. Deer know what's going on and the duckers at this point should have very little impact in making yer season useless.

I'd hunt.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:36 AM
Spike

but they are hunting so close they might as well be next to me. Had 3 more nice does run off at the start of shooting last night and I hunted a different stand. The first few shots just caused them to look arond. But when they really opened up they bolted. Also most of my deer bed down in the swamp next to the river, where all the shooting is. Maybe that can work to my advantage if they keep duck hunting and push the deer out of the swamp and into my fields.

Last edited by Cypress32; 11-18-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Spike

Usually ends up helping me out. First couple of days makes them nervous, but after that they start patterning the duck hunters. I just get in there before they start pushing them out of the fields or swamps. Soon they get used to it but its like it splits their attention, not so focused on me. Also, increased movement as soon as duck hunters leave. Good luck.