Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new hunter question

Old 11-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Spike

Default new hunter question

Sorry if this is extremely stupid but I am a new hunter with very little experience. I found a great spot to hunt deer. Tracks everywhere nice cover. everything you want. Last time I went as I was walking out of the woods I found a dead buck right in the middle of the area. There are no holes in it from getting shot.. Looks like it my have gotten hit by a car and wondered into the woods to die. My question is this. Should I look for a new spot? will deer walk past a dead deer? do they just ignore the fact its even there? I have looked all over the internet but have found no one to ask. the 2 big hunters I know say different things. figured I would ask here.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

Move it. It will deter other deer from coming around. Plus it will stink.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

I am surprised that the 'yotes and buzzards have not done their job. They are nature's garbage collectors.

I would drag it out into the open where they can see it.

Does the smell of death scare away bucks?

I have shot numerous bucks and read about a hundred hunting books and spoken with about a thousand hunters in deer camp, and this question has never come up before.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen them come up and sniff the dead deer. In a few days, I am sure that there will be not much left of it. The coyotes magpies and ravens will take care of it pretty quick.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

Your being curious and seeking answers conflicts with calling your self stupid.
Its a chance for you to find answer your self if you want. I would just leave it and see how close others approach. Have seen deer around dead and they didn,t panic .
One doe a couple days dead had tracks almost touching her,hope it wasn,t a fawn.
Years ago Dad arrowed a fawn and when it laid down and died its litter mate joined it.(frown).
I have found a dead(phew! Pee yoo dead) deer and kicked a buck out of same heavy cover,10 yds away maybe. I wouldn,t let it keep me from hunting area.
Good luck. Watching deer best way to learn them. Year round.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the input. I guess I will just go out and sit 50 yards from it and see what happens. It was there last sunday might not even be an issue by now but when I saw it, it was at least 2 days old.. starting to stick.. eyes still in tact. I live in Ohio not a whole lot of coyotes here but there are some.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Spike

If it has been a few days any deer in the area would have gotten used to it being there by now, if it is even there still. I doubt it is. Coyotes usually make quick work of a downed deer.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

You'll be fine. Just leave it. Deer dont seem to mind. The woods are full of dead things year round.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Billgod
Thanks for all the input. I guess I will just go out and sit 50 yards from it and see what happens. It was there last sunday might not even be an issue by now but when I saw it, it was at least 2 days old.. starting to stick.. eyes still in tact. I live in Ohio not a whole lot of coyotes here but there are some.
Hunters usually share knowledge with each other. It's a brotherhood dating back to the time of the mountain men of the Old West.

Scavangers are everywhere, just depending on what and where.

Blow flies and ants are absolutely everywhere, at the insect level.

Ravens and foxes and bobcats are virtually everywhere as well.

They are superseded by vultures and coyotes and mountain lions in many places.

These are superseded by condors and eagles, wolves, and bears in some places.

The Earth is an abundant place, and God's creatures abound in one form or another.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:28 PM
Spike

Just to update everyone. Deer is still there but so are all the others. Thanks for your advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.