Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Killed a spike this evening... >

Killed a spike this evening...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Killed a spike this evening...

Old 11-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Killed a spike this evening...

and feel good about it, too. I hunted hard today. Up at 3 a.m. fighting a cold, hiked 2 miles in with the climber and heavy clothing. In the stand until 11 a.m. No deer. Decide to get down and still hunt. Moving into the wind, not seeing much deer sign. Finally bump into a scrape. Carefully creep along for several hours, I find the the buck's rub line. Creep even more carefully still, and find what looks to be his bedroom. Set up 75 yards downwind and sit for 20 min. Not much light left, so I give the estrus bleat a go. Within 5 minutes, he came out. I thought about not shooting since he was "only" a spike. But then I thought, "I hunted hard today. I beat him on the ground. And he looks mighty tasty." He gave me a 15-yard chip shot. The end.

Actually, not the end. Had to leave him, go back for my treestand (where I spooked off several deer upon my return), drag all my gear back to the car, and then come back for the spike. And drag his ass all the way back to the car. I'm tired.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Damn. That's a lot of work. 15 yards ?? You shoulda tried getting him with yur Knife.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:16 AM
Fork Horn

Damn good kill, glad you got him. He will be very tasty! I like them young deer, nice and tender.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

You can't eat horns.

Hard hunt. I woulda had to have something for my efforts as well.

Pretty work.

Do you know how to get back to that spot. Cause you need to go back.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by daleintampa
Damn. That's a lot of work. 15 yards ?? You shoulda tried getting him with yur Knife.
I was parked against a tree with no cover and he looked right past me. I could have taken him 50 yards off, but given his direction of travel, I could tell he was going to come perfectly broadside, but not until he was really close. My ASAT camo makes me feel confident.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Night Crawler
Do you know how to get back to that spot. Cause you need to go back.
Yes, most definitely. But why? I think he was the buck making the sign, and it makes sense now. I didn't see a lot of deer sign in this area (mostly pines) until I came across his. I don't think he could compete with the big boys, so he staked out an area with not a lot of does. I don't think another buck would be eager to take over, do you?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats! I shot a spike last year and he was very tasty. Even have a package of backstraps in the freezer. Gonna eat them this weekend.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! There's nothing wrong with taking a spike or button buck. Very good eating! I usually takes does until the rut then fill my buck tag since we are only allowed one buck per year here.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats. The younger ones make mighty fine eating.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I killed a borderline 8 last week (he had scrawny brow tines but nice rack overall), and I was pleased to catch him off his guard (he was chasing a doe and got confused when she blew at me). But, to me, this spike was more special. A very memorable hunt.

Now if I can just bring myself to hunt much less than two miles out on public land...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.