Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck Down in Nebraska

Old 11-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Spike

Broke both front legs, right front was shattered, with the bullet slightly passing through the front of the chest. Second shot was a little further back, back end of the lungs and took out both. I was pretty surprised as well after seeing the shots, and blood trail, that he managed to go about 275 yds or so after initially being shot!

A little graphic on the pic, but hey we are all hunters. Here is how I found it and what was left. You can see the bullet entry on the left front leg.

Luckily, I gave the front cape to a taxidermist who makes winter gloves for homeless and less fortunate folks. So it wasn't all in vain!
Attached Thumbnails Buck Down in Nebraska-found.jpg   Buck Down in Nebraska-scrapped.jpg  

Last edited by BPeterson; 11-15-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

wow I thought coyotes were back in Kentucky! I have never seen a pack do that much work in one night! that is impressive. Sounds like you need to do some predator hunting!!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

nice buck congrats too bad bout the yotes
Old 11-16-2012, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

At least you still tagged him. Some people I know would have just cut the antlers off and left the carcass and went and shot another buck. Kudos to you.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:11 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by elmoughler View Post
At least you still tagged him. Some people I know would have just cut the antlers off and left the carcass and went and shot another buck. Kudos to you.
Couldn't do that my man. I'd feel like a poacher! Even a Game and Parks worker told me that if it was that mangled I could just leave it, thought that was odd. But they did reiterate that if I took the antlers I would need to tag it. I still thought it to be odd they would even suggest leaving it.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:22 AM
g13
Spike

nice buck and quite the story to tell
Old 11-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by AquamanPSD View Post
wow I thought coyotes were back in Kentucky! I have never seen a pack do that much work in one night! that is impressive. Sounds like you need to do some predator hunting!!
May head out this weekend and try for a coyote or two, but it is definitely my go to spot. There are also some bobcats near my ground blind, just hoping I don't run into the BIG cat that has been seen on a few occasions! Taking the old trusty 22 Hornet out and getting the cobwebs shaken off for some fun predator hunting. I am just hoping we get some dang snow this year!