Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Need help its supposed to be rut and Im not seeing anything. >

Need help its supposed to be rut and Im not seeing anything.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need help its supposed to be rut and Im not seeing anything.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Spike

Nice buck on my camera at 4 AM again. Im seriously just gonna go out there and sit in my stand with my spotlight and when I see my camera take a picture, turn the light on, and shoot.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

The sitting all becomes worth it...I am famous for the 12-15hrs sets in my stand...However, we generally see deer where we are hunting...If not we start to rule out things....

MY guess would be that while you might be hunting over food, the deer may have another more favorable food source adjcent to the land you are hunting? If its drawing the does away your not gonna see too many bucks, or chasing, or anything... Perhaps a bean field, standing corn, a feeder? ect ect? Hell sometimes just the neighbors bushes are better...They might be using your propery as a night time travel point, and all that RUT LIKE activity is taking place CLOSER to a better food point...

Key is to always see does...Just like a night club, the boys dont come in and spend their money without the ladies there...
Old 11-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Spike

I give up. Im cursed or something. This afternoon was perfect. Been raining hard with high winds for the last 2 days and finally it cleared up, was cool, with just a slight breeze. Theres been a nice 8point possibly even a 10 that loves hanging out around my 4-wheeler for some reason when I hunt a certain stand. 3 times this year when I have gotten out of my stand I have jumped him walking back to my 4 wheeler. Also he walks out pretty close to it cause I can hear him going through the woods but he always makes a right turn and walks away from me instead of a left which would bring him into my field of view for a shot.

Well tonight he finally decided to make that left turn. I had been parking my 4-wheeler further back and maybe thats why he decided to go left. I could catch a glimpse of him through the trees every now and then and could tell he was big. I had my gun up, safety off, and was on the scope right at the place he would emerge so all I would have to do is pull the trigger. Then someones damn stray ass deer dog comes yelping across the field and he bolts through the woods. Wish that mut had walked out in front of me cause I would have put a hollowpoint through his ass.

Had probably 12 hunts in the last 2 years ruined, watching deer chased off, cause these damn rednecks just let there dogs go where ever the hell they want and they dont care whos land or hunting they **** up. I could hear them all over my land, Im probably not gonna see a deer for a week now. Then the dog proceeds behind my stand and all the way back into the swamp barking all the way. I just climbed down and went back to the house. I hope the Coyotes got his ass.

Last edited by Cypress32; 11-16-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

You will not see natural deer movement once dogs have run. I hate the use of dogs for deer. It is turkey the laziest most disrespectful way to hunt.