Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What is "Peak Rut" and when does occur??? >

What is "Peak Rut" and when does occur???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is "Peak Rut" and when does occur???

Old 11-11-2012, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default What is "Peak Rut" and when does occur???

As a researcher, writer and author, one of my jobs is to know when the rut should occur. I've spent 10 years reseaching der - so that I could learnn more about their biolgy andn behavior. But, before we get into dates, let's define what the term "the rut" means.

The rut defines any activity that occurs as a result of breeding behavior, including, rubbing, scraping, breeding, trailing, chasing etc. After e-mailing the deer biologists of most states I've come to realize that 'the rut" meaning rubbing AND scraping, begins right around the last week of August for most northern and middle latitude states, earlier for many southen states.

Breeding generally begins in middle October, really kicks in about the last week of October and peaks during the second week of November (8-15th) and continues at noticeable levels into the second week of December, with breedding in many states occuring as late as January or early February.

We need to remember that during the "peak of the rut" (the one week of the year when more does get bred than any other wek) only 30% of the does get bred. That mens that the other 70% ae scattered throuhout the rut.

To find out when peak rut (peak Breeding) occurs in your are, Google "Peak Rut Dates" or "Peak Whitetail breeding"

Then realize that peak sightings of bucks during daylight hours often occurs during the last two weeks of October, as the bucks cruise their rub routes, looking for trailing, chasing and breeding does.

This is often the best time to hunt bucks, because they are fairly predictable as to when and where they can be seen. Once a lot of does come into estrus the bucks abandon their rub routes to follow the does, which makes them fairly un-predictable.

God bless, and good hunting,
T.R. Michels
Old 11-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Spike

We (men) have been studying woman for the last million of years, I dont think any of us have truely figured them out. Deer are the same way, as soon as you think you have it all figured out, they will pull the Ol' Switcheroooo on you?
Old 11-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

The weathe ris the major factor in what we see in terms of rutting activity. When it is warm the major activity is at night. However, the "rut" continues just about as it has for the last 100 years or so. The "peak" may vary as much as 14-days from year to year but that is about it. The does will get bred. We may or may not see much chasing but it will happen. It just happens at night.