Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Passed a two small bucks this morning!!! >

Passed a two small bucks this morning!!!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Passed a two small bucks this morning!!!

Old 11-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Passed a two small bucks this morning!!!

So in michigan most hunters go by its brown its down. I have shot my fair share of deer. But nothing big. My biggest is a 6 point with a 15 inch spread. Well i passed on a spike and 4 point this morning because there are a couple big bucks up at my property. It felt damn good to pass on them deer. I think as a hunter im taking a big step by passing on smaller deer. Sorry if you all think this is a pointless post, i just feel really good about it!
Old 11-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

Not pointless at all. I'm not a meat hunter so I pass on a lot! I don't care if I fill my tag. I just enjoy being out there!
Old 11-08-2012, 03:21 AM
Typical Buck

I think this year will be my first to pass on a small buck if it walks by, but I need to see one first. However I will probably shoot a doe if it walks out not waiting for a buck. Gotta feed the family for me
Old 11-08-2012, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

In Indiana we get one buck a year. If you shoot a small one you can't shoot the big one when he shows up.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

You should feel good about it! It's a good thing all the way around, because you're giving small bucks a chance to experience life more, and give them a chance to get bigger while you're giving yourself a chance at a larger buck. Win win situation as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

Stick to your goal! Nice to have a couple shooters to wait on.
Leaves you more study of deer and live decoys.
Matter of time.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the feed back!!
I already shot a doe for meat, so im waiting for a big bruiser to cruise through the woods only to get arrowed by me!!!!!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

Just last year I started passing on smaller deer. I hunt exclusively on public land so if I shoot a buck I want it to be a good one and worth the long drag out. I might shoot a small one toward the end of the season if I haven't gotten a doe yet for meat. Already got a doe this year and have passed on 2 small bucks.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Spike

What do people mean by tags? I have to get doe tags and I get 4 per year but usually only fill 2 of them cause thats enough meat combined with the 1-2 bucks I also usually shoot. Do some states require you to buy tags for bucks as well? Also I think everyone should pass on any deer thats 6 points or less. Hell I have passed on three 8 pointers already cause even though they had wide spreads they just werent thick enough for my liking. If you are a meat hunter a doe tastes just as good and usually better than even an average sized buck and most places have too many as it is. My season is 4 months long I havent shot a deer in 6 weeks cause Im waiting for the right one to show up. I could have easily tagged out all 4 of my doe tags and killed 3-4 decent bucks. But why kill every deer on my farm? I guess people who shoot 2-4 pointers just have no patience.