Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
I have no idea what's going on!  Suggestions >

I have no idea what's going on! Suggestions

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I have no idea what's going on! Suggestions

Old 11-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Spike

Default I have no idea what's going on! Suggestions

Over the past few weeks, I've been getting a good amount of action over a mock scrape on trail cam. The last picture i have was on Oct 31 and it has since dried up. I did get one picture of a decent sized buck with his nose to the ground after a doe a couple days ago but nothing since. I assumed the deer were in the chasing phase at this point, but I have been seeing numerous amounts of does still in groups in fields nearby. I thought the chasing would break the groups up and the does would separate. I have been in the woods numerous times in the past few days and everything was completely quiet. Did I miss the rut completely or am I missing something? The area I hunt is pretty high pressure and it is in NE Wis. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 11-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

HAHA Funny you should bring this to light. I am also in NE Wi.I have had vacation since last wednesday and have been in the woods everyone, everyday, for the most part all day each day. Like you, I seen the Bachelor groups of young Bucks one morning. I see the Does all still with offspring and in Doe parties. I see Scrapes and Rubs, some new some old. I have cam pics of Doe eating some acorns, well over 300 photos and only two Bucks (small) showed up in these pics. But the woods has been quite from daybreak til dusk every day.Talk to some guys, they have seen chasing since last week (or before), some of my Buds have harvested some nice Bucks or at least are seeing Chasing as of Sunday. This is over near Whittenberg. I myself am just south of Bonduel and if I didnt know any better I would have thoguht it is still to come, hence still spending everyday in the woods, which I will continue to do until I go back to work Monday.

So, I am as lost as you are in the end.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

its like that in ohio for me..i have 2 properties. one in the southeast and one in the southwest part of the state. southwest is rocking and not so much in the southeast. its crazy!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default If you admit you're a little stupid

that you are totally unable to predict when a deer will appear at a certain hour of a certain day, and you keep moving about, not tied to one location, it's amazing your good luck in locating deer.

I remember fishing often and returning to the area where my vehicle was parked. "How did you catch that limit of fish." "Oh I fish here, I fished there, I moved to this one place, then another and I caught my limit."

They were keenly disappointed. They wanted to catch fish and fish the one place they had chosen.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

update, get you butt in the woods!!
Old 11-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Spike

Saw alot of deer on monday Nov. 5th in Southwest Wisconsin. I passed up 14 bucks before I shot mine, chasing hard, saw 6 deer 130 and above that day. Not neccesarly close, but we saw them with does. Ever since things have shut down like no ones buisness. On thursday we grunted in 2 decent bucks and rattled in a small one and only have seen a few doe each day. My dad saw tons of deer the week before that not chasing! Pretty sure they are on lockdown.

Talked to a buddy he was hunting this buck he really wanted for a whole week. He saw this buck and doe in the same area for 3 days straight. On the 3rd night he watched the buck leave that doe and shot him. Point is, THREE DAYS ON LOCKDOWN WITH THE SAME DOE! Its crazy. It should blow up one of these days again.