Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Midday hunting

Old 11-07-2012, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default Midday hunting

Its been hard latley going for a morning hunt since I have to wake my son up extra early and take him to the sitter. So tomorrow I am planning to do a midday sit from about 9:30 or 10 until about 1. Have any of you had any luck with this before. I've read alot about what some people call the "noon stroll" and thought it couldn't hurt, can't kill em sitting at home.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Ive killed them between 11 and 1 a few times you just never know and this would be a great time to try it. I was actually thinking about doin this myself.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

During that time tomorrow they are calling for 1-3 mph winds up this way so its going to be very calm. I'm hoping and praying that I'll go out tomorrow and the combine will pull in the corn field when I get in stand.......That would be great!
Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

I saw a really nice buck last friday morning at 11 cruising down a field edge, you just never know what these bucks are thinking, especially at this time of the year. My dad is picking cotton now and he saw a buck and a doe bedded in a cotton field earlier this week, they didnt move til the combine was really close to them. And they see deer at all times of the day while out picking.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:04 AM
Spike

A friend of mine shot a 3 pt last thurs at 1 pm while still hunting by himself. He jumped him feeding on some acorns on a mountainside.
Goodluck! Sounds like a nice spot with the cornfield
Old 11-07-2012, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

Not usually prime time, but if it's the only time you have, go for it.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:21 AM
Spike

According to my trail cam all the action happens at my stand after 10am. You are right.....won't shoot anything if you are sitting at home :-) Good luck and happy hunting! :-)
Old 11-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have killed most of my deer midday.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky
Not usually prime time, but if it's the only time you have, go for it.
Any time is prime time during the rut! Get out there when you can.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

During the peak of the does' estrus cycle when they are about or are ready to be bred, any time of day is a good time to be hunting for a love struck buck. Over the several decades that I have hunted deer in the deep south, by far my most successfull time for both does and bucks has been later in the afternoon from about 3:00 p.m. to dusk. I have not had a great deal of success in early a.m., but those bucks that I have killed around 08:30 or earlier have been nicer ones. Why I have no clue.

I have had some nice bucks come crusiing by mid-day. Usually early in the season when the bucks are still in groups of 2-3-4-5. I cannot prove this, but seems to me that as the season progresses the mature deer (both older bucks and older does) where I hunt tend to become more nocturnal and if they do move in the daytime, it is 10:00 a.m. or later, on up to about 2:00 p.m. Trail camera evidence reinforce this notion. I have often wondered if they become somewhat conditioned to when most of us leave the woods and head in ?!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.