Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How long will a Buck stay in one area during rut? >

How long will a Buck stay in one area during rut?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How long will a Buck stay in one area during rut?

Old 11-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Spike

Default How long will a Buck stay in one area during rut?

I have been seeing a massive buck from one of my stands but he was way too far for a shot. Even my nice Leupold rangefinder couldnt range him and it goes up to 550 yards. I didnt wanna buy a stand to put closer unless I was sure him coming out twice in 4 days wasnt just a coincidence.

I walked to where he was coming out out and all along the treeline there was tons of tracks. Also as I walked closer to where I was seeing him I counted 5 scrapes along the tree line. This is an unplanted field that was just disked up a few times before season started and only thing growing in it is random vegetation so I guess they were eating that.

Well I got to where he came out of the woods and it was a small trail through some baby pines about the width of the thick end of a pool cue. He had just destroyed everyone of them in sight with rubs. I figured OK hes made himself at home here. Put out 100 pounds of corn to chum up some does and set my trail camera facing the corn pile. Sure enough had 5-6 does eating on it every night and even got a few pics of him and he was a monster, at least for this area. Easily over 200 pounds and just thick so probably at least 3 years old. His neck was swole as hell couldnt even tell where head ended and body started.

So I decided that was enough for me to get a new stand. Bought one on Thursday but needed help putting it up so it couldnt be done until Saturday. Saw him once more last Friday night and havent seen him since. I know that was only 4 days ago but should I be worried I missed my chance at him and hes moved on? Saw 2 smaller bucks at his normal hangout this morning so hopefully he will come back to run them off as I also saw 8 does there tonight. Also I hope putting up a new stand didnt spook him. Its 150 yards away and up against another tree line so hopefully he wont notice it. Those little bucks this morning and the does tonight didnt seem to mind the new stand being there.

Last edited by Cypress32; 11-06-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Movin on would seem doe related(assuming stand and related activity wasn,t to much). He's due back even if only a night pass through down wind for doe check. Another receptive doe could keep him away another couple days . M.h.o. good luck!
Old 11-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Typical Buck

During the rut you just never know. He could stick tight or he could go miles away chasing does.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
During the rut you just never know. He could stick tight or he could go miles away chasing does.
Or a bigger nastier buck could come from a mile a way as well
Old 11-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Spike

Heard him walking through that narrow path in those pines this morning and hoped he would come out. But had about 6 does doing windsprints across a small 5 acre field we forgot to plant this year thats usually foodplots. Was crazy they were just running back and forth from one end to the other and a few of them went up onto that path that buck walks. So I think thats why he stopped. Seems they might get him to stick around a little longer and hopefully he will come out into the open for a shot.

I have never seen does do that before. At first I thought I spooked them but they were just runing around that little field like they were playing a game of flag football. There was a buck in there but he was a small 1.5 year old 4 point and mostly ignored them but every now and then would chase one then go back to grazing so I dont think he was interested. They didnt start running around until they went to the far end near where that big buck has made camp. I guess they smelled him and thats what made them go crazy. Or maybe they just wanted some exercise I dont know. But they were all nice does any would have made for a nice tag.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

Hard to believe but once when setting on ground in clump of maple a doe spotted me from nearby pines 3, (3!) Times she charged up to me, did a hockey stop and tore back into the pines. got to full draw twice and never got a pinsight on her. Another video opportunity missed.
Glad to here your big buck seems to be around!
Good luck.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Spike

Had a doe hit up his scrapes in the tree line tonight hope to see him come out tomorrow.