Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 01-04-2002, 12:35 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-04-2002, 05:38 AM

Default RE: Scouting questions?

I'm not the foremost authority or the leading expert on whitetail deer, but, it sounds to me like you may have found either a "honey hole" or a "death trap" depending on how you approach it. This is probably a mid-day bedding area that has to be tread on lightly! Once a bedding area is abused, and the deer know you have intruded, it's pretty much over right then and there most of the time! Now, that doesn't mean that it cannot be hunted any more, either! My suggetion would be to ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION TO THE WIND, so you do not tip the deer off. Enter downwind or dont go! Save it for that "perfect" day when you can! Then I would get in there EARLY! I mean a whole hour and a half early if need be, and stay there ALL DAY. Big bucks will move off to this place as late as mid day. Take a sandwich or something quiet to unwrap and eat, a small bottle of water, and I have a large juice bottle that I have cammoed up with tape to "go to the boys room" if need be. This has worked for me in the past, even though it sounds pretty extreme. Big bucks are big because they are FULL-TIME survivors, while we are just PART-TIME predators no matter how much we hunt! I hope this has helped you, I would like to know how you do! GOOD LUCK!

P.S.-- a climbing tree stand up as high as possible (20 feet minimum) will help you defeat the wind once you are there
Old 01-04-2002, 06:00 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I'm not the foremost authority or the leading expert on whitetail deer, but, it sounds to me like you may have found either a &quot;honey hole&quot; or a &quot;death trap&quot; depending on how you approach it. This is probably a mid-day bedding area that has to be tread on lightly! Once a bedding area is abused, and the deer know you have intruded, it's pretty much over right then and there most of the time! Now, that doesn't mean that it cannot be hunted any more, either! My suggetion would be to ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION TO THE WIND, so you do not tip the deer off. Enter downwind or dont go! Save it for that &quot;perfect&quot; day when you can! Then I would get in there EARLY! I mean a whole hour and a half early if need be, and stay there ALL DAY. Big bucks will move off to this place as late as mid day. Take a sandwich or something quiet to unwrap and eat, a small bottle of water, and I have a large juice bottle that I have cammoed up with tape to &quot;go to the boys room&quot; if need be. This has worked for me in the past, even though it sounds pretty extreme. Big bucks are big because they are FULL-TIME survivors, while we are just PART-TIME predators no matter how much we hunt! I hope this has helped you, I would like to know how you do! GOOD LUCK!

P.S.-- a climbing tree stand up as high as possible (20 feet minimum) will help you defeat the wind once you are there
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 01-04-2002, 12:47 PM

A good way to find out where they are crossing those streams is to walk along and look for places where the bank looks chewed up and you should see deer tracks. I've found that deer usually pick the same crossing if the stream is normally deep. If you are finding beds I'd get out of there and find where they cross the stream and walk the opposite direction and pay close attention to the brush around the trails. Chances are that the leaves and twigs will be bit off. This means that they are browsing either on their way to a field or from a field to their beds. Look for droppings and not just one pile, look for many piles. Deer are moving through this area and they usually deficate shortly after getting up from their bed and while they are eating. Once you find these things you can decide on where to set up your stand. As Richie 3 said, I too am not by any means an expert but I usually get deer every year and I learned all this from my dad and my grandpa since I was very young.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a spot with great potential. I wish I had a spot like that near home. You have a great opportunity to check things out thoroughly since you are close and can make it out there more often than a lot of us.

By the way , why not join the board. Just click on &quot;Register&quot; at the top of the screen. Once you have an identity we can carry on some more conversations.

Good luck.

Keep 'em all in the Bull.