Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

8 hour search.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MZS
Wow, good work on finding that deer 3/4 of a mile away! That is a tough find, given a gut shot leaves very little, if any blood. Huge teams of people looking for a lost person have had less success than that. How did you manage to find it that far away?
We let her sit over night and started checking every stream and pond we could think of the next morning.

We have not lost a deer in over 10 years due to our search groups we have set up with all the neighbors. They call us when they need help and we call them.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:41 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by edgecam
We let her sit over night and started checking every stream and pond we could think of the next morning.

We have not lost a deer in over 10 years due to our search groups we have set up with all the neighbors. They call us when they need help and we call them.
So you checked these water spots cause a gut shot deer will seek water? I found a gut shot deer last year. Let it sit over night and found it on the other side of a small creek. But it was only about 80 yards away, if that.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MZS
So you checked these water spots cause a gut shot deer will seek water? I found a gut shot deer last year. Let it sit over night and found it on the other side of a small creek. But it was only about 80 yards away, if that.

We have found a few deer near ponds and streams. If we lose the blood trail and don't find them with a grid search we will check around ponds and streams.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Valentine
to hunt with anyone that causes an 8 hour search. Would avoid those shooters like the plague.
You come up with some of the most ridiculous comments I have every read. I'm glad I don't hunt with you, could not handle the super star attitude you have.

To the OP, great job, the kid will be a much better hunter for everyone's efforts recovering that deer.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Spike

to hunt with anyone that causes an 8 hour search. Would avoid those shooters like the plague.

The kid was 10 years old and made a bad shot, It is all part of learning about hunting.

You really shouldn't criticize people until you have all the facts.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you serious? This is a young man who is learning and more than likely got excited and pulled the shot. Even experienced hunters can & do make mistakes. And "avoid those shooters like the plaque" ???? That's pretty harsh to say the least.

It's pretty hard to miss the fact that this was a kid hunting during the youth season.

Unless you are to lazy to even read the original post & too quick to make a senseless comment.

Even if this had been an experienced adult who made a bad shot....

NOT COOL MAN.....
Old 11-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Send his butt into a freezing cold pond to get his deer and he won't make that mistake again.