Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
New to shotgun/deer hunting (Need help) >

New to shotgun/deer hunting (Need help)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New to shotgun/deer hunting (Need help)

Old 11-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Spike

Default New to shotgun/deer hunting (Need help)

Ok, I've shot rifles and I own a handgun. But when I comes to shotguns I need some input. I've gone to the trap range and fired on clays and pretty much understand the concept. I fire just below and just ahead of my target and I can drop them all day long. No problem there. Where I need some help is understanding the projectiles trajectory when firing at large game, such as deer. Do I get a sight picture as I would with a rifle or pistol? X marks the spot. Or, do I fire below my target as I would with clays or birds? I was told that a shotgun tends to rise. Now, I know I depends on the range to the target. What I'm asking is "Should I simple shot it like a rifle?"
Old 11-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

It does depend on the range a slug from a shotgun drops at first but then does rise it also depends on the ammo you choose. The best slugs Ive ever shot by far are remington copper solids and hornady sst.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

There are a few other factors that come into play. First one being whether or not your shotgun barrel is rifled. Shooting skeet with shot is a bit different than rifle/slug.
The concept is obviously similar to shooting a rifle, except that the shotgun slug travels much slower and is heavier, so therefore there is more of an arched trajectory.
The best thing is to get to the range and see how your gun shoots. Check out the ammo manufacturers website, often they will have a generalized trajectory chart.
Good luck and feel free to ask any questions that you may have.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Spike

If your gonna shot gun hunt a lot I recomend you get a h&r,or a savage slug gun just for that sole perpose and top it with a good scope,I would recomend leopold,And try numerous slugs every gun has slugs that shoot good or bad so you got find 1 that works,With that setup you will have a short range rifle good for 200 yards.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

I might have missed it but it sounds to me the way he asked the question that he plans on using buck shot??? (only basing this on his comparison to using clay pigeons) If this the case, if so I would recommend slugs. Some states (I think) still allow buck shot but I would not do it. Let us know what gun, barrel and ammo you plan on using.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
I might have missed it but it sounds to me the way he asked the question that he plans on using buck shot??? (only basing this on his comparison to using clay pigeons) If this the case, if so I would recommend slugs. Some states (I think) still allow buck shot but I would not do it. Let us know what gun, barrel and ammo you plan on using.
That's a very good question. I will be purchasing a Franchi Affinity 12-gauge. And yes, I will be using slugs when deer hunting.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

So your going to be shooting slugs out of a smoothbore then? If so, you will want Rifled slugs and probably a improved cylinder choke. You could try a modified or something more open but improved cylinder is usually a good one.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by chaded
So your going to be shooting slugs out of a smoothbore then? If so, you will want Rifled slugs and probably a improved cylinder choke. You could try a modified or something more open but improved cylinder is usually a good one.
Thanks for the input. Inproved choke, rifled slugs.... Got it. Once I get all set, I will go to the range and sight it in. I'm sure that will give me the best feed back.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chaded
improved is more open than a modified.

if you are using a screw in choke barrel use an improved cylinder if you CAN NOT find a cylinder choke. you want the absolute least constriction on the slug as possible to ensure no deformation. if you plan to use it alot i would suggest sending it to a choke maker and having them form a choke to your barrels specs.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Banned

on a second note if you are using a vent rib barrel with beads and not going with a scope, buy a good set of bolt on rifled sights (trueglo has great ones) that way you can actually sight it in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.