Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Ethics or Obeying the law? What's your choice in this situation... >

Ethics or Obeying the law? What's your choice in this situation...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ethics or Obeying the law? What's your choice in this situation...

Old 10-29-2012, 05:26 AM
Fork Horn

I end the suffering, but I leave the animal to be consumed by other wildlife. I understand that the law is in place for a reason, but I would not let an animal needlessly suffer because someone put pen to paper telling me that it was wrong and called it a law. Each situation is different and fluid in it's own way.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:31 AM
Spike

There is nothing wrong with putting down a suffering animal. Police officers do it year round when they get hit by cars in my area. Does anyone know a person that has gotten in trouble for putting down a wounded animal?
Old 10-29-2012, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sevi316
I would drop it everytime.... If it was out of season I would not take it though. I do not like seeing animals suffer ever.

same here...
Old 10-29-2012, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Follow the rule of three S's.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 AM
Spike

Three S's? Used to have a three S saying about what you have to do before going out for the night but wonder what you mean by 3 S"s. Anyway, I would put the deer down. If you are close to where you could call game commission I might do that but I guess they would tell you to put it down. An hour walk to get out of the woods and with the possibility of finding the animal again I would just put it down and now worry about the regulations. In PA you can pick up road kill as long as you report it in 24 hours I think. Never really considered picking up road kill except as bait for Coyotes or fox so never studied the law but laws are meant to be reasonable and I think doing the right thing supersedes any law.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would put it down and then leave it."Buzzards gotta eat."
Old 10-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

Chrisvie13,
Yes, I have seen a person get into trouble for putting down a suffering animal!

It was in Anchorage and about 1994. A car hits one of the many moose in the Anchorage Bowl. The animal is now paralyzed and can't get up. Some fellow in a pickup stops and puts a bullet in its head and ends its suffering. The fellow is charged with discharging a firearm in the municipality. This was not in Anchorage proper, but in the very outskirts.

As I recall the court wasn't very understanding of why the man shot the moose!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by raptor5618
Three S's? Used to have a three S saying about what you have to do before going out for the night but wonder what you mean by 3 S"s.
That would be.

Shoot.

Shovel.

Shut up.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

Hike back to where I can contact a conservation officer, then proceed as directed by the conservation officer.

I have hit 5 deer with vehicles over that past 7 years. I am all out of compassion for deer suffering.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:59 AM
Spike

Hike it to an area to where I can get reception or call a CO. With the limited movement the deer isn't going very far. Follow their instructions.

Now if I hit a deer with a car (and have), I dispatch a.s.a.p if they are crippled beyond repair. then call CO/police.

Last edited by niterydr; 11-01-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.