Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Blue Tongue in Missouri?

Old 10-23-2012, 06:19 AM
Spike

Default Blue Tongue in Missouri?

Went hunting this weekend for the first time since my injury. Went to several farms that have not been hunted and I normally see lots of deer. I hardly saw any!!

I've heard from some farmers that they found several dead deer this summer and I'm wondering if it was the drought or blue tongue or both?
Old 10-23-2012, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Missouri -EHD

Missouri got hit with EHD, which can severely hit deer. I heard a report in September that it was hitting before archery season.

Either EHD or blue tongue, it does a number on deer. A herd of trophy bucks can virtually vanish in one year.

Last heard the fella from Missouri went to Georgia to hunt.

Last edited by Valentine; 10-23-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Spike

I personally hunt oklahoma but i live right on the missouri border my grandparents own 1200 acres in missouri and he said he found over thirty dead deer on his property all from blue tongue
Old 10-24-2012, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

I have heard reports of blue tongue killing deer in southern MO and northern AR as recently as a month ago.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

Its all over the midwest,started getting reports back in july and wont stop till you get a good frost to kill the midge..
Old 10-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of us should be in the clear now with the cold tempatures we've already had. Thats the good news, the bad news is some places have been hit hard while others have not. I have a small spot near Chicago that we had 10 different deer all summer in camera and around October 2 they all disappeared off both cameras (30 yards apart) I'm not sure what happened but I'm hoping EHD didn't get them.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Spike

I am not sure what EHD is? I have heard of CWD and Blue Tongue. I have heard north central missouri has had issues with CWD and that blue tongue has been found in all parts of Missouri and really bad in Illinois. If I had deer missing for a period of time I would check all the water sources in the area as this is typically where the deer with blue tongue are being found. If these searches turn up empty, the other answer is this time of year deer start to disappear from areas and show up in others due to pre rut activity and searching for does and new food sources.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Spike

We got whacked with that **** pretty bad here in New Jersey. I have found 12 dead so far. I notice a big difference in the size of the deer herd this year.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Spike

Default Ehd

northern missouri and southern iowa are at 75 to 90% death loss DNR biologist told me if everything goes right and people leave the does alone we can recover in 3 or 4 years with numbers and in 6 years for herd quality
Old 11-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Spike

Really good thread!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.