Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How Concern Should I Be?

Old 10-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How Concern Should I Be?

This morning I went to check my cam, I had zero pictures, I normally have at least a dozen or more per week. The deer and bears never came into my bait, I've been using Swamp Donkey and they been hitting it, so this morning I switched it up, I put out 50/50 corn/sweet feed. I hunt deep mountain woods, nearest crops (corn) is 2 miles away.

Should I be concern that I got zero pictures this week, versus the fact I've been getting many pictures since the summer?
Old 10-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont think concerned is the right word but I would be confused. I am surprised you only get a dozen pictures per week with bait. I dont bait at all and get 20-50 pictures per night of Deer.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

this area is 70,000 acres of public land, many places for them to hold up, and hunting pressure is only heavy during the 6 day shotgun week in early December, deer numbers aren't has high in the area like it was 10 years ago
Old 10-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Keep the setup as is for now, but keep in mind that the corn is now mature and deer will be hitting it. I hunted a similar situation where the fields were about a mile from where I hunted. I found an area that was being traveled by the deer on their way back from the fields and setup there in deer season. Long story short we shot many deer over time along that travel corridor. Are there hardwoods producing acorns in your area? If so they will be dropping now and that is another food source that may change the deer's feeding habits.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

been hunting the same tree for the last 7 years, every year I should get a deer, I either take a few or allow them to pass, I'm within 200 yards of their bedding area. I know the area is good, just concerns me that I haven't gotten a picture of deer or bears this week, maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, this problem is new to me. I don't see a massive amount of acorns, but a few trees are dropping them here and there
Old 10-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Spike

Maybe something is wrong with your camera? There are alot of crappy cameras out there. I am in jersey to activity was really slow this past week on the cameras even on bait!
Old 10-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

It is normal for most to have less pictures right now then what they did during the summer. I wouldn't worry about it. If you know there are deer there then just be ready during rut. Deer typically change there patterns and will start to move around and disperse out more during this time.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Check the batteries.
They might be to weak to snap the pictures.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

The cam is working just fine, fresh batteries. The activity has slowed down since the summer, hopefully with the rut coming I will see more deer.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Spike

Maybe another bait station close to you that made them change their pattern.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.