Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hardwoods hunting help

Old 10-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Spike

Default Hardwoods hunting help

Hey all I'm new to forums but been hunting all
My life even though I'm only 18. I hunt in hardwoods and have saw the same button buck with a doe two days in a row. I've tried rattling grunting and bleating with no success. I've saw 170+ inch deer where I hunt but never while I'm hunting I normally see deer everytimr
I hunt but never any mature bucks any advice would
Be appreciated thanks
Old 10-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

Gotta locate them first. Prove they are in area. Then where they are coming from and going to and when. Once rut activity starts focus on travel routes and keep track of those does the bucks will and it could be a chance to catch an ol boy out in daylite. Pick one out and good hunting to you.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Spike

Thanks good luck to you as well. My step dad
Shot a 130 inch 9 point arrow broke off didn't have a bloodtrail. I have a deer farm and they're getting in rut but does are not in estrous yet so my question is should I just hit where I have been where I see the same two deer or should I move my stand
Old 10-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Multiple stand sites depending on wind and what deer are doing when you hunt, i like to try to catch them between feeding and bedding without my getting caught. Fist time in new spots with right conditions to hunt site sometimes the best hunt. (The first sit). Is it because bucks knew other stand sites were being used? Or location itself?. Multiple sites help avoid boredom too. Bucks can cruise through an area without using local traffic runways and still know whats going on. If you see their sign and alot will be night time,consider they are using their own faint routes,often cover or edge related. A good traffic area where cruisers pass through starting to pick up ,not alot of tracks or rubs,but tonights buck was cruisin. Passing through on an easy route but able to scent check most of the regular doe ,young runs too.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Spike

I know where active scrapes and quite a few rubs are but I just can't seem to
Find a big boy I don't normally harvest does I'm not a if its brown its down kinda guy I'm wondering if I should hunt by those scrapes I sprayed some of our doe in heat urine on a scrape and moved it around with a stick so should I hunt by there and thanks again
Old 10-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Spike

I know where active scrapes and quite a few rubs are but I just can't seem to
Find a big boy I don't normally harvest does I'm not a if its brown its down kinda guy I'm wondering if I should hunt by those scrapes I sprayed some of our doe in heat urine on a scrape and moved it around with a stick so should I hunt by there and thanks again
Old 10-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

You need to find where he's living, not just where he's feeding. The rut is the great equalizer. You will catch mature bucks roaming during shooting hours. But outside of the magical rut window, I would tell you to get closer to where they live (thickets). You will start seeing bucks on the regular. Being this close to the rut, I would start watching rub lines & scrapes to see if you can key in on the buck you're looking for. But the doe's will be their primary concern here soon.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Spike

Thanks anybody else hunt in southern Indiana? Ill move a stand by the scrapes and leave the one where the doe is traveling.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Like people,their all the same but all different. A buck once ready to wear himself out,(not all will,have met homebodies.) Leaves that well rubbed bedroom he spent a good bit of time in as well as scrapes once chase is on. I,ve done i feel,better with a mock scrape where i want to hunt. One edge bucks ran during rut i made one 20 yards from stand,peed in in each visit and missed a monster that nosed it,after he left it and entered oaks. Mr excited used wrong site pin.
Agreed on keeping tabs on doe groups. Don,t want to start a fight here but my opinion is if does don,t show interest in a particular scrape i don,t . But hey, set up downwind 20 yards and try it.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Spike

Alright will do tomorrow evening ill let you know how it goes ��

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.