Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Are you grunting or rattling yet? >

Are you grunting or rattling yet?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are you grunting or rattling yet?

Old 10-18-2012, 05:14 PM
Spike

Default Are you grunting or rattling yet?

Are you guys/gals grunting or rattling yet?

Mike
Old 10-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Saw two bucks fighting in upstate ny today
Old 10-18-2012, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope. Well, my wife says I grunt every now and then.

Seriously though, the past 40+ years I have has such weak resopnse here in SE Alabama with either "call" that I seldom even bother. Of the two I have had a few more come into view that seemed to be looking for the source of the grunt. However, I do not even attempt this until I see signs of does being in heat. That is still typically 6-8 weeks from now.

Last edited by Mojotex; 10-18-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I grunted at a bachelor group of bucks on Sept 20th (a month ago) and 5bucks and 2 does crossed 400yrds of wheat stubble to come into my decoy buck to check him out. All I did was ONE territorial grunt to get their attention, they saw my decoy, and made a bee-line for our stand. My wife stuck an arrow through a nice (rough taped to 130class) 8pt buck.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw two small bucks shoving each other around last weekend. I will rattle this weekend. I won't be smashing them together, just a little ticking, twisting and scraping, to simulate bucks that are just messing around as opposed to fighting.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used single low volume short grunts before when I'm not seeing anything. Also have used doe grunts. I usually don't do any estrous bleats, tending grunt, loud series buck calls until closer to the rut.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

It's time to do it if your going to do it. The best results you will have is NOW. Once the rut comes into full swing isn't the best time to do it. Pre Rut is the best time to rattle and grunt in my opinion, the bucks are setting the pecking order for dominance and they do that during pre rut. Yes, during the peak of the rut you can rattle but do it LOUD and hard, if you have ever watched two bucks in a true fight in the woods you will have realized that there is no possible way to make as much noise as they do, so don't be afraid to wreck stuff. Get loud and nasty with the horns if your going to rattle during rut. Pre rut you don't get so loud and nasty as the bucks are just sparing and getting prepared for the upcoming change. Also, I have never seen 2 mature bucks just sparing, not to say that they don't just saying that I have never seen it, its always the immature bucks that are doing that which I have seen a number of times. Good luck
Old 10-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Spike

Buck seem to love the grunt. Have had more than a few come in. One thing though. Dont do it if they are close to you because they will peg you and bust out in a hurry.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

I heard two bucks sparring last night in the woods behind my house....it is getting close!
Old 10-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

Ask Mrs Uncle Nicky, I usually don't hear myself over all the snoring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.