Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer are passing early

Old 10-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Spike

Default deer are passing early

my main stand is located on the most heavily used trail that i could find about 60 yards in from a feild and about 70 yards from where i belive the majority of the deer are bedding. ive been in my stand every morning abolut 20 minutes before legal shooting light, and havent seen anything this year in the morning yet. this morning almost 2 hours before legal shoting time when i was driving to the farm, i saw at least 3 deer cross the road from another feild into the feild that my stand is off.. so im thinking that they must be going through, back to the bedding area at least an hour before legal shooting time. is there anything i can do to intercept them an hour later or anything? thanks
Old 10-15-2012, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

You might want to set up on them in the afternoon. If you move into thier bedding area, your first hunt would be a good one but you would probably relocate all the other deer in the area.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like your stand is on the wrong side of the bedding area. They might have figured you out. Try moving. If you find their food source set up to catch them coming off their beds in the afternoon. Don't over hunt the spot. You want them to be there when the rut hits.
If you can, spend the evening watching the bedding area from a distance to figure out the route they're taking.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

depends on what you have to hunt.. It sounds like your in a good spot but if your wind is going to the field where the deer are coming from your in trouble, on the flip side if your wind is going to the bedding area your also in trouble. This time of year if you have does in your area, and you cannot move your stand into a "better" location than you are kinda stuck in a bad spot, hopefully when the bucks really start looking you will get a opportunity at a "non local" buck that is passing through. Now, if you can move your stand, you may want to think about moving it closer to the field and start doing more evening hunting and/or move your stand into a better wind location. Do you use a camera?? They are priceless, it sounds to me like you are hunting pressured deer!! Good luck. A lot of good hunters on the site and will help you out as much as possible..