Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Encounter while hunting.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Encounter while hunting.

So I was sitting in a stand on a small piece of property that I just gained permission on this year. I'm about 200 yards from a fence line that I don't have permission on.

Well, at 8:30 today I spotted movement through some trees. So I got ready, and could hear snapping sticks, and movement,but couldn't see anything through the trees. Well after a few minutes, I saw movement about 50 yards away, and it turns out it was another hunter. Mind you, I'm the only one with permission back there, and set up in about the oly suitable tree for a stand. I make a "pssssst" sounds and wave the guy down. He sees me, then makes a pointing down gestures, which I put together, was him asking me if I was coming down from my stand, so I give him a thumbs up, and he walks over to me.

He greets me with a "I didn't know anyone was hunting back here, I'm actually supposed to be on the other side of the fence, but there is just so much bedding area around here, and I only have one stand setup on my side and was looking to seeif there was any other good place to go."

I said, "we'll yeah, I talked to (land owners name) and he gave me permission, and I'm supposed to be the only one back here."

The guys responds with "yeah yeah, no problem. Me and my dad have hunted the other side of the fence for years, and dad took a nice 11 pointer last year from that tree." As he points to a tree on the property line.

He then apologized for walking in on me while I was hunting, and said he would stay on his side from now on. It was overall a very cordial encounter. The only things I'm wondering about is, do I tell the landowner that this person was trespassing, and admitted he was looking for a place to set up a stand on property he doesn't have permission for? Or do I just take this guy for his word, and trust that he won't comeback over?

Don't really want to start any conflict that isn't needed, but,...not sure if its something that needs to be reported to the landowner...

Right now, I'm just probably going to leave it be.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd let it be. Maybe no one has hunted your side of the fence for a while and he crossed the fence just to walk in because no one was hunting over there. It doesn't sound like he is hunting on your side, just using it as a way to walk in. If it was a cordial experience, I'd just let it be. He sounds genuine about not walking in that side again. Heck, you never know when they might help you drag a deer out of the woods. I think you should be ok from now on and he won't be back. It's alot better to have friends in the woods than enemies.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

I would let it be also. If anything more happens then report it. He was respectful it sounded like and now knows that you are there. Hopefully that's all that comes of it.
-Jake
Old 10-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I third the opinion to just let it be for now.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

Cool. That's what I was thinking too. And to be clear, he's to walking in from that side. He comes in from the opposite side of the fence. He crossed the fence to look for a place to hang another stand. Seemed like a decent guy. I personally never cross any fences I don't have permission to be on. Especially while carrying hunting equipment.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think you handled it nicely. Just keep him honest.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Spike

4th here. Let it be, like stated might be an asset at some point, plus nice to be on good terms, you never know if that monster you shoot might run onto their property. In my experience if some is gonna be a douchebag, they will do it on the first encounter, so this guy seem to be on the up and up.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

It may not have been his first time over the fence and he didn't expect to get caught, but now that he knows someone is watching, he'll hopefully steer clear.
My advice is to just make sure that they know not to cross the fence anymore, some guys think that playing the nice & friendly card automatically gives them leeway.
It sounds like you'll be alright just letting this one slide.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

If you have any problems in the future, then you might need to do something. He knows now that you are there.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would definitely let it be. If the problem arises again then maybe warn him if it happens again you will have to notify the land owner and let him know he was trespassing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.