Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I NEED HELP...Pic included

Old 10-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

Buzzards will normally find them in the woods as well as the open fields. Crows also. Good luck with your search as I know you are trying your best. That sure was a dandy buck!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Look for crows and vultures, they will both find dead animals in the woods. Hey man, I really hope you find the animal. I know the feeling your talking about, it sucks.. Keep on looking. If he didn't get bumped by you or other animals he probably didn't go all that far.. Like what was said before, water is a good place to look, creeks, swamps, drainage ditches etc etc.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DCFD3512
Thanks for the tips and I will try them all. I am afraid of the coyotes too and as I was walking out of the woods that night I could hear them howling. I almost thought about camping out on the hillside listening for them that night. I did walk out there at about 3 AM and listened for a while but never hear them. Since the meat would be bad anyhow it's just an antler recovery now. I just hope they don't destroy the rack.

ALSO...Anyone know if the buzzards will find dead animals if it's in the woods or mainly just the fields??

Thanks again.
listen for crows too...
Old 10-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't give up. He sure looks like a good buck. My dad always told me it could take 8 or more hrs sometimes for a deer to die after it's gut shot. If you didn't bump him and he had no clue as to what happened. He should have layed down quite fast. He may have circled back. I have lost deer in my younger years and found they had circled back behind my stand. Just a guess. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds like you are doing everthing right. Id say find the thickest, nastiest stuff you can find and get in there. Most likely he is in there if he isn't next to the creek or near any other water source. We've found more than one buck in spring in stuff you can barely crawl through. When we used to rabbit hunt public land every december you could always count on finding at least one deer in the thick briars and thorns. If you checked everywhere else, I'd try to pick out the nastiest stuff within 500 yards and grid search that. Good Luck, we've all been there!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigzombee69
I didnt think Ohio had any Sunday hunts for another couple weeks?
We dont have any restrictions on hunting Sundays in Ohio...
Old 10-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Call in the dog
Old 10-04-2012, 02:54 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry to hear about your buck and the gut shot... Crap truly does happen, especially in Bow Hunting! Personally, from experience of having to track deer that have been gut shot for friends and family look around the closest water source. That's where I always find them piled up. Good luck bro!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am just guessing, but very dark blood probably indicates that yu cut the liver. It'll be a miracle if the deer survives a lliver hit.

Don't short change a good blood tracking dog. I have one ... rain, muck, us trampling around, etc. ... not an issue. If there is any blood, even miniscule, a good blood trailer should be able to keep the track going. I'd look very hard along the line on which he came in. Lots of time, a wounded deer will eventually head back from where it came. For sure you'll need to widen yuor visual search area and be very methodical. Good luck !
Old 10-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mojotex

Don't short change a good blood tracking dog. I have one ... rain, muck, us trampling around, etc. ... not an issue. If there is any blood, even miniscule, a good blood trailer should be able to keep the track going. I'd look very hard along the line on which he came in. Lots of time, a wounded deer will eventually head back from where it came. For sure you'll need to widen yuor visual search area and be very methodical. Good luck !

I have actually tried calling a couple guys with dogs that I found on the internet. Unfortunately they all say that the window of opportunity has passed for a dog. Are you anywhere in the Eastern Ohio area by chance? I would be willing to compensate you for your time if you think your dog could make a difference. Or if you know anyone else who is could you refer them to me??? Thanks again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.