Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I NEED HELP...Pic included

Old 10-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Spike

Default I NEED HELP...Pic included

I shot this deer Sunday evening around 6:30 PM. He was about 20 yds broad side when I shot and it looked like a solid hit. After the shot he ran about 20 yds up the hill, stopped, tucked his tail, and walked slowly and unsteadily into the woods with his head down about 75 yds away. I almost thought he was going down within sight but he didn't. Shortly after, I checked my arrow and couldn't believe to find I gut shot him. I then backed out and waited until morning to find a short blood trail that didn't amount to much. We have spent 16 hours the last 2 days walking the entire area with no luck. Checked all of the creek bottoms and tried checking all downed tree tops. I don't think he's been dead long enough to smell and haven't seen any buzzards circling. I currently plan on waiting until this weekend and giving it another go since he will more than likely smell by then. I'm hoping he just burried himself under some brush and I have just been walking by him numerous times.

Couple questions...

First of all any advice?

Second a blood tracking dog would be useless since we have walked all over and it rained but does anyone have or know someone that has a cadaver dog for finding dead deer? The property I hunt is in the Cambridge OH area. I have read a lot of forums that say those dogs produce fairly good results. I would be willing to pay for the service then extra if he can find my deer.

I have never gut shot a deer before so any help would be greatly appreciated. Of course the one time it happens is on the biggest buck I've ever shot.
Attached Thumbnails I NEED HELP...Pic included-sunp0013_2.jpg  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

I didnt think Ohio had any Sunday hunts for another couple weeks?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Spike

Opening day was last Saturday. You've been allowed to hunt Sundays for years now.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you are doing what you need to do. The key is staying at it. Sadly, he may not be dead yet. Depending on what you hit, he may die from an infection in his intestines.

Did you catch any liver by chance? i.e. dark blood on the arrow.

BTW, that's a DANDY buck!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

And then he could heal up,watch for buzzards they might help you.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

I'd check any hill or ridge. He's going to lay down and he'll want to see. I'd bet he's trying to go up, not down. He's going to die, there is no question. So like mentioned earlier, you're doing what you can.

One other thing I do when I track, is use my nose. I used to cut about 200 deer a year at my uncles butcher shop. And a dead deer has a smell (not a bad one, it's not a death smell. well at least not right away) that is very recognizable to me. Even 2 hours old, I can smell them. Just my lil trick. Found a doe for my dad with just my nose once. Then we found blood. After that we were both believers. Good Luck!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

A gut shot deer is 100% going to die. Many times they will be near water because of fever. If you have a pond or creek near by take a close look. I would listen for coyotes to howl at daylight or dark as see where they are. They will find a kill and come together and feed on it. I saw them eat a full grown doe overnight once. It sounded like a lot of them when they started howling and they will finish it fast if so. If its been several days it may be eaten already.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by TNHagies
Sounds like you are doing what you need to do. The key is staying at it. Sadly, he may not be dead yet. Depending on what you hit, he may die from an infection in his intestines.

Did you catch any liver by chance? i.e. dark blood on the arrow.

BTW, that's a DANDY buck!
Just a small spot of dark blood. The short blood trail I found was a little dark but not sure about liver. I really find it hard to believe it didn't catch something significant though. I swear the shot didn't seem that far back. I just can't believe it. I'm sick.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Spike

Thanks for the tips and I will try them all. I am afraid of the coyotes too and as I was walking out of the woods that night I could hear them howling. I almost thought about camping out on the hillside listening for them that night. I did walk out there at about 3 AM and listened for a while but never hear them. Since the meat would be bad anyhow it's just an antler recovery now. I just hope they don't destroy the rack.

ALSO...Anyone know if the buzzards will find dead animals if it's in the woods or mainly just the fields??

Thanks again.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with water. That wound will "burn". He will head for water.

The carnivorous animals won't eat the rack. Only rodents and IMO it is too soon for them to do much damage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.