Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Using attractants as a cover scent >

Using attractants as a cover scent

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Using attractants as a cover scent

Old 09-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Spike

Default Using attractants as a cover scent

Alot of deer attractants say "do not apply to clothes or person". Is this realistic? As in a person could get attacked by a buck during the rut? If someone is still-hunting and has a scent neutralizer on, couldn't they just smear attractant on their boots and use it as a cover scent? My thinking is that it could not only play down human scent but may intrigue deer as well.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Montbars View Post
Alot of deer attractants say "do not apply to clothes or person". Is this realistic? As in a person could get attacked by a buck during the rut? If someone is still-hunting and has a scent neutralizer on, couldn't they just smear attractant on their boots and use it as a cover scent? My thinking is that it could not only play down human scent but may intrigue deer as well.

Never put Any Deer scent on your self.
The deer WILL Attack you.
Use something else to cover your scent.
It is not worth being maimed, or killed.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

My Grandfather always puts deer urine on his boots. Not necessarily as an attractant, but adds a little confusion to the bucks. He sometimes also drags a tarsal gland behind him while walking to his blind.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

I used to spray doe piss on my cloths, one evening while waiting for another hunter to meet at a trail intersection, which I had no idea he left before dark, I had a deer trailing me. I learned then not to spray it on myself anymore
Old 09-28-2012, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

I always use fox urine as a cover scent.Just a couple drops on my boot is plenty.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

Look on youtube for that video of the guy getting attacked by a buck after putting doe scent on himself. 'nuff said.

Besides, smart hunting would be to put the scent where you want the deer to be for a good, clear shot.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:12 PM
Spike

I usually always put doe urine on my boots before walking in to my stand. I've never had a deer scared away by smelling where I have walked in since. The chances of you being "attacked" by a deer because you have doe pee on your boots is somewhere between winning the lottery and getting struck by lightning 4 times in one day. The disclaimer is part for their liability in case that freak quadruple lightning strike hits and part just trying to make you believe their scent is that effective.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by warny View Post
I always use fox urine as a cover scent.Just a couple drops on my boot is plenty.
Same here, spray it on my boots everytime.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Typical Buck

In my opinion, if you are stand hunting you really want the attractant cross/upwind from you.
The word "attraction" really speaks for itself. They smell the attractor and it attracts them straight to it. You don't want them coming in straight downwind from you. That's more chance for your cover scent to fail.
Try to picture a deer downwind from you, hopefully they will angle to your side and out of your scent cone. The cover scent is so they can pass you and then pick up the urine smell.
Just don't over do the scents. A little is all you need. Too much can make them suspicious.
Funny story, last year (gun season) I had a bottle of buck urine in my leg pocket. Well we all got into the Chevy Tahoe and before long we were all smelling something very pungent. Little did I know, the cap came loose on the bottle and my pants leg was soaked with it! I still hunted the rest of the day and wasn't worried about an attack. Five 1oz. 12ga. slugs make me feel real secure!LOL