Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Method: You've a long hike, it's cold and you WILL sweat profusely >

Method: You've a long hike, it's cold and you WILL sweat profusely

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Method: You've a long hike, it's cold and you WILL sweat profusely

Old 09-28-2012, 03:14 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

I would say, shower up good before going to minimize bacteria, dress as light as possible with scent killer sprayed on, and bring new clothes as you suggest. I don't think sweating alone will produce the scent as much as bacteria that then works on the sweat. The article at http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/173478.php says this anyway. So if you minimize bacteria, and then get rid of the sweat by toweling off good and putting clean clothes on, scent should not be a big problem.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

I will pack my base layers and wear a layer that i will take of and change into dry layers at my stand. Doing all that was said: go in really early, slow walk in, change at base of my tree using scent wipes and spray. One place were I hunt there is a 200 yard climb straight up the mountain to get to my stand. No matter how u slice it or how cols I'M sweating bullets when I get there. Sweaty layers have to come off moisture wicking or not. You will never stay warm.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have tried this and it seems to work OK. I carry a wad of paper towels soaked in rubbing alchohol stored in a HD zip lock. Once in my stand, I'll allow myself some time to cool off a bit, then wipe down as much area as I can with the alchohol towels. Put them back in the zip-lock. The quick drying cools me off somewhat faster, and the alchohol killls some of the surface bacteria. Still, if the deer are down wind ... I'm usually toast ! But at least I am cooled down.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Did pretty much what the other guys said over the years. I had to replace my outfit a little while back and it was tough. Everything is junk now days. It was hard to find pants, bibs or a coat with double metal zippers. I wear wicking sweat pants and shirt under my pants and coat. I usually have my pants zippers open when walking and coat strapped to my pack. When I get where I am going I put on more under clothes if I am going to sit. It has to get really bad before this does not work for me. I discovered long ago that sweat pants or something like them with suspenders on your main pants wears you out a lot less than wearing jeans or stiff pants under your main outfit.
My feet is another story. If it is cold wet snow on a cold day, the only thing that works for me is oversize pack boots. I wear double wicking socks and boots so big I can wiggle my feet around in them. Some people have better feet and get away with regular boots.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Better to be . . .

a little cold going to the stand, than sweating and freezing to death an hour later in the stand.

I use to take off my parka and hang it on my tree stand as I carried it into the woods. Kept the warm sweater in a pack. Moved slowly. Stayed a little cold and minimized sweating. Paid sooner so I didn't pay later.

If you're too warm the first ten steps in frigid weather, you're too warm.

And nobody ever said frigid weather was going to be easy. It always seemed 20 degrees colder a half hour later in the stand.

Last edited by Valentine; 10-02-2012 at 03:25 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

NATO, I am in your exact situation. I hunt deep on public land. The key is TAKE YOUR TIME. I leave the truck way before I need to be on the stand. I dress to the point that I'm about to freeze when I leave the truck and pack all my clothes. If I take my time, I can get to the stand without sweating.

When I was a kid, my dad always preached at me to take my time. Of course, I never listened so more than once I came out of the woods sick. Amazing how smart Dad's are if we would just listen to them...
Old 10-03-2012, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

I wear wicking material near my skin, and scent blocking clothing at the surface. Unless there is a significant weather change during the day, or I am done and leaving the field, I rarely change.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bumping this thread since the forum is getting a lot busier. Lots of good info here, could be useful for others.

HatchieLuvr - Great idea on the decoy bag. I picked one up on sale at Cabelas for $9 and looks like it will work great for carrying stuff in.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I built houses outside when I was younger..
It was minus 30 and I wore coveralls and longjohns and a T shirt.
Same thing hunting high country.. I dress warm waist down,
and very very light on top..Do wear a toque..
But that way the sweat evaporates while I'm doing the heavy stuff that creates heat and still stay comfortable..
During rest, I pull on a Merino wool sweater, and take it off when I walk again.. But I'm all for wool in wet/ snowy/cold weather hunting..
Skin is water proof, and drys easily.. Keep it exposed when I need to,
And protected when I need to.. The worst thing to do is wear wet gear on skin when it's cold.. Protect your gear, and it will protect you..
Old 10-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ever thought of just spending the night? especially on public lands..if yer deep enough, the guys coming in the morning will push em all at ya. gl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.