Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

smart bucks

Old 09-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Spike

Default smart bucks

I have been bow hunting a piece of property for the past 2 years with no success, we see the buck we want but he always take the other trail. Me and my dad split up on the trails, but our buck keeps outsmarting us and finding a way around us. He comes out of a cornfield and crosses a grass field to a line of timber, where we setup, but he has to get by us to get to his bedding area. We can't hunt the corn field because it is on neighboring land. We have seen him 3/4 mornings, but the closest he has ever gotten was 80 yards. Just wondering if anybody had any tips??
Old 09-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

80 yards.... just wait for Gun season?
Old 09-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Spike

It's a just archery area
Old 09-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Spike

Ask for permission to hunt that other area. Have your dad in his regular area. And you take the trail of your neighbors land.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now you know why he's gotten old.That's hunting.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by FlDeerman
Now you know why he's gotten old.That's hunting.
x2

try to play the wind to the best of your ability. sometimes its hard when you see great bucks in an area, you get there and the wind is bad. You want to take your chances but you shouldn't. Atleast thats what happens to me sometimes. Another idea is not to hunt it so hard. Get stands up on different properties or gamelands. Then you will have options and not feel like you have to hunt there all the time. Many people over hunt there spots and the deer can really figure them out.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default Well said

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
x2

try to play the wind to the best of your ability. sometimes its hard when you see great bucks in an area, you get there and the wind is bad. You want to take your chances but you shouldn't. Atleast thats what happens to me sometimes. Another idea is not to hunt it so hard. Get stands up on different properties or gamelands. Then you will have options and not feel like you have to hunt there all the time. Many people over hunt there spots and the deer can really figure them out.

Definitly do not over hunt the spot and NEVER hunt it with the wind not being right