HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Ground Blind Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/372077-ground-blind-question.html)

kateraxl2381 09-09-2012 08:16 PM

Ground Blind Question

Just bought me a ground blind this past weekend and was just curious where you guys/gals like to use them. Field edges, timber, brush? I'm use to being in a tree so I'm kind of new to the ground game.

bhensley 09-10-2012 05:53 AM

I usually set my ground blinds up along tree lines to help break up the outline of it. Only been using the blinds since last season when my son started hunting. Easier and safer than the tree stand with him. Seems to work out good for us so far.

Krypt Keeper 09-10-2012 06:43 AM

Have used mine along the edge of fields and in the woods. Be sure to brush it in so it doesn't stick out really bad. Also hope you found yourself a comfy seat to use in it.

cwillard 09-10-2012 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper (Post 3975450)
Have used mine along the edge of fields and in the woods. Be sure to brush it in so it doesn't stick out really bad. Also hope you found yourself a comfy seat to use in it.

+1

the sun will glare off the top of the dome and make it stick out bad. Also if you leave all your windows completely down, deer will easily see you moving inside the blind.

good luck

wisbowhunter2009 09-10-2012 01:56 PM

I used mine in the woods, and a field edge... I love them!!! hek of alot better than treestands. I use a foldable lawn chair and i agree, brush it in very well! If you can find a bunch of small pines about 7 feet tall, stick in inside of them, cut shooting lanes for every window, with them branches put them against your blind and on top. It'll look great! Also, if you can, close the back of the blind windows up, deer will see right through it and see your big outline. Good luck and hope it helps!

kateraxl2381 09-11-2012 10:25 AM

Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure and remember them when finding a place to put it.

MZS 09-11-2012 12:11 PM

I like to nestle mine in between some evergreens. So when the leaves go down, I am not left sticking out like a sore thumb. I use a portable blind on sticks mostly, so I can assume whatever shape is needed. An umbrella type requires more room, but it can also be brushed in fairly well with a little more effort.

Gunplummer 09-11-2012 04:59 PM

I would put an orange hat or vest on top of it. I do this even when I am down behind a blowdown or somewhere I really can't be seen very well.

Beamer01 09-11-2012 06:40 PM

I like to use blinds on a field edge. I am always sure to get it out there 3-4 weeks in advance. This helps the deer get used to it and lets any odor's dicipate. I like small fields that have dense brush or hardwoods on at least three sides.