Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

South Dakota Blue Tongue

Old 09-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default South Dakota Blue Tongue

Planning a diy South Dakota archery hunt this november. I have read a lot about blue tongue killing a large number of the deer population. Any truth to this? Kinda hesitant to go if all the deer are dead, haha.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Went out deer hunting West River, in an area where blue tongue is common last year. I am going again this year. Blue tongue may be getting some of them, but there seems to be plenty left. I say go for it.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

Anyone from SD? How is the current deer population?
Old 09-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Typical Buck

Better than last year, does are having alot of twins and triplets. last year was the worst year i had seen and i am born and raised here. One thing i have noticed is the bucks are not as big, at least not in my area. One good thing is it kinda leveled the buck to doe ratio which could help in the next few years, and i dont think it is bluetongue, everyone is saying EHD.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

I have no idea about south dakota, but i know that one year in kentucky it got really bad and you could seriously tell. saw very few deer that year and it was one of the worst seasons ive ever had. i would reschedule haha
Old 09-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I thought blue tongue was caused by sand fleas.I know a man who had a deer farm and tried to bring in some Northern deer and they died within a year from blue tongue.That's what he told me caused them.We call them "nosee'm"and if you have the little devils God help you.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:25 AM
Spike

Just out to our farm this weekend in south central SD and was working in only about a 100 acre area around a drying up stock dam and found 4 dead deer that looked like they had all died within the last week....Heard similar stories from other people in the area too

Last edited by thehart_cwc; 09-17-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ran into blue tongue

It just devastates a herd and gets sparce publicity, except locally. Seems to travel with droughts, from my non expert status.
In a drought I expect the worse. Maybe the internet will spread the word. Out of state hunts cost too much money.