Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

where have all my deer gone?

Old 08-26-2012, 07:18 AM
Spike

Default where have all my deer gone?

Been watching my old hunting ground and havnt seen even the first track in weeks...confused....maybe time to pick up and move on....this area was a hotbed a few years back...havnt seen many over the year or two...now havnt seen nothin...
Old 08-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Banned

it is impossible to answer your question with out details. what state? hunting preasure? poaching?
Old 08-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Spike

Well I live in south central ga...bout 65 mi south of macon...my spot over looks a 45 acre area of about 7 year old pines...pretty good and thick...figure it'd be a good bedarea...its sounded by hunting clubs on 3 sides...none have recently killed a significant number of year the past two years...however 4 years ago quite a few were harvested...up untill spring I still saw a few tracks here and there...all summer I havnt seen nothin...no tracks no deer...
Old 08-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do something to draw the Deer onto Your Property,plant food plots,put out salt/mineral licks if leagl to do so,plant some misc Fruit Tree's,frost seed some clover...anything to give the Deer reason to travel or stay on the Property You hunt!
Old 08-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like your neighbors overharvested most of the deer herd in the area and never gave them a chance to catch back up. If it were me, I would call your area game biologist, get up with your neighbors and have a big cook-out. Let the biologist give his recommendation to everyone, so everyone is on the same page to start some kind of manangement plan for the future.... Or if your neighbors aren't interested do like GTOHunter said, put every reason for deer to come to your property. Maybe, sell that timber(if old enough), get it cut, and let it turn to a heavier thicket.

Last edited by huntinyoung; 08-26-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

I have to say that if I walked 45 acres and failed to see a deer track I'd be pretty dumbfounded too!! It kind of seems that the "hotbed" may have been caused by "signifigant" hunting pressure from 3 sides!! Just saw on the news yesterday that Georgia was in one of the worst droughts in history! Maybe that would explain it. Is there a water source nearby?
Old 08-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Spike

The 45 acres I hunt has no water on it. However the...re is several small ponds bordering that property... I have been putting out corn and mineral blocks...the neighboring land is all owned by a group of guys from fl....the locals that owned the land died off...and truth be told some of these guys are jerks so....no cookout. What they don't realize is if they were nicer to me id maintain their food plots and stands year round...so I guess I just need a hope and prayer
Old 08-26-2012, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

Something still sounds off to me! You might have a poacher who knows the owners live outta' town! Is the land used for any other type of recreation?