Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you feel about this?

Old 01-29-2002, 09:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default How do you feel about this?

A few days ago I posted "Do all deer herd".
Around here(upper Laurentians)people feed the deer in the winter.They set up feeders in their backyards and feed.Some do it all winter long.Others strictly on weekends when the come up to cottage country.
The problem with this is if you are going to feed them, you MUST keep feeding them because they stop foraging.The young deer become accostomed to this and are not learning the natural way to feed themselves adequately.Often you will see 30 or 40 deer crossing huge lakes to reach "feeding zones" on the opposing shore.In the spring some deer that are still depending on the free meal will go through the ice and die.I don't personnally think we should be allowed to do this as humans, for we are messing with nature.
More deer in populated areas attracts more frequent deer car mishaps, endangering human and animal life.The deer become dependant on these free meals thus losing their natural fear of humans.
All in all it ends up being a lose-lose situation for the deer.

Edited by - Canadahunter on 01/29/2002 22:02:19
Old 01-29-2002, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you feel about this?

ITS SAD WHEN SOME PEOPLE KEEP FEEDING THE DEER AND THEY BECOME PETS AND THEN WHEN A HUNTER SHOOTS THE DEER THE PEOPLE WHO FED THE DEER ARE OUTRAGED AND CALL US MURDERS AND SO ON AND SO FORTH BUT THEY ARE THE ONES AT FAULT FOR DISRUPTING THE NATURAL CYCLE OF LIFE.

Edited by - robb92 on 01/29/2002 22:31:43
Old 01-29-2002, 09:34 PM
Fork Horn

"DISRUPTING THE NATURAL CYCLE OF LIFE."...those are the exact words I was looking for Robb92.Thank's.Brain is tired tonight.LOL.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, in fact, I argued with my mom to stop feeding the cottage ducks in the fall so they would fly south.
But, we can't take the position of naturalists who argue that nature will take care of itself, because humans have already altered nature so drastically.
I think there can be a balance.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Robb, you nailed it...That's exactly how it is.
Visit My Hunting Page

Old 01-30-2002, 01:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well i quess Im in the minority on this subject.I feed the deer all winter as soon as hunting season is over.They feed 10 yards off my back yard.Yes once you start you should not stop,so it is a comitment.I will feed from January till May.I feed them the same food they would have available in the summer.Corn, Roasted soybeans,sorgum,a alfalpha grain mix with a molasses base.I buy a couple hundred apples at the local wholesale produce auction. Last year I went thru about 1200 lbs of feed. I can guarantee you these deer are not tame and can spot someone in the house when we walk by the window 60 yards away.I,ve tried sneaking up on them to get pictures and aint no way.These are the fattest deer in the area.One got hit up the road this fall a 181 lb doe.It had 1/2 inch of yellow fat lining the whole body.YUM YUM Yummy,I feed it I ate it.I have heard all the negatives over the years and just cant agree.
Old 01-30-2002, 06:00 AM

I see nothing wrong with feeding deer in the off season.It lets some deer
survive and come out of the winter in good shape.I would call it a "Win-Win"
situation.If the feeding is stopped in May as cardeer does, they will go back to their normal routine as a wild deer.I would be careful on any feeding or using salt licks.If they are found within 30 days prior to hunting season, and I mean any amount on the ground, No one can hunt in that area.I have seen this happen before.
Old 01-30-2002, 06:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I feed birds year round and plan on trying to get deer to feed in my back yard, I have never seen the situation you are describing where the deer form up into herds in Va., unless you are calling 4-6 deer a herd.

The Tazman
Old 01-30-2002, 10:37 AM

In our area, once the snow level gets to be a certain depth, most of the local conservation clubs commence a feeding program that continues until the deer either move out of the yard area or the winter breaks and ground is showing and the deer can forage on their own.
Old 01-30-2002, 01:56 PM

I'm in the minority with ya Cardeer,I feed also.last year I put out about 6,000 lbs of feed.I have yet to see a deer that yuo can get near.
get upwind three hundred yrds. and they leave just the same as any other.
the are fat and most have two and some three fawns.
befor I started to feed I never saw does with two fawns.
to me that is a win win situation.
thats my two cents,there are 98 more.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.

Quick Reply: How do you feel about this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.