Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Muzzleloader float hunt video

Old 08-18-2012, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Muzzleloader float hunt video

With fall just about on us and hunting season approaching fast, I just thought it was time to once again share this great video. My buddy and I a couple years ago floating a river in northern Michigan during the December muzzleloader season. Hope you all like it.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/TC6FdjByQ7g

Last edited by hnt4food; 08-18-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

Looks like great time afield (tho I'm surprised anything was seen with the constant talking by the cameraman. )

I'm curious tho, was that state/fed land? Something was mentioned about a 4-5 hour float trip, now either that's one BIIIIIIIIG holding of private land, was state/fed land or someone filmed themselves POACHING on land they didn't have permission to be on?
Old 08-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
Looks like great time afield (tho I'm surprised anything was seen with the constant talking by the cameraman. )

I'm curious tho, was that state/fed land? Something was mentioned about a 4-5 hour float trip, now either that's one BIIIIIIIIG holding of private land, was state/fed land or someone filmed themselves POACHING on land they didn't have permission to be on?
That is public land for the most part. A little section at the beginning and at the end is private, other than that it is all public land. We have been float hunting this particular section of river for 30 years. No need for us to poach anything. We were all raised hunting and fishing norhtern Michigan and putting meat in the freezer is easy enough to do legally.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by hnt4food
That is public land for the most part. A little section at the beginning and at the end is private, other than that it is all public land. We have been float hunting this particular section of river for 30 years. No need for us to poach anything. We were all raised hunting and fishing norhtern Michigan and putting meat in the freezer is easy enough to do legally.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

What a great hunt it was. Will probably spend the rest of my life trying to better that one and doubt it will happen. As far as video goes anyhow. I have taken several nice bucks in my 34 years of deer hunting on public land in Michigan, 4 of which score over 100 and 2 of them are over 120, yet the doe in this video is by far one of my best hunts ever, and I didn't even pull the trigger.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

there are lots of rivers that flow through the PA national forests. i always thought of doing a late season flintlock float. i think i will actually do it this year.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
there are lots of rivers that flow through the PA national forests. i always thought of doing a late season flintlock float. i think i will actually do it this year.
Good luck and be prepared. I spill in the river during late season can be deadly. If you float late season make sure you have a dry bag with extra clothes and the proper items to start a fire quick. I would also highly recommend going with another person. We have been doing it for many, many years and have been in just about every situation you can imagine, and believe me a quick fire can be a life saver.

Oh and if you look good at the attached pic you will see a definite hit was made. The splash right at the deers hind end is red. Yep, that's blood.
Attached Thumbnails Muzzleloader float hunt video-bratsnmustard12.jpg