Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
The Prices Of Hunting These Days >

The Prices Of Hunting These Days

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Prices Of Hunting These Days

Old 08-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default The Prices Of Hunting These Days

Never Mind ,

Have a great day and Happy hunting to everyone

Last edited by BigCountryHunter; 08-17-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

No one is making you buy all that stuff. Rifle season I use a 60 year old .300 savage model 99 with an old tasco scope, a pair of carhardt work bibs, and sit on a five gallon bucket.....

Now I also have bought some newer guns, with bigger scopes, better binocs, trail cameras, deer stands, camo clothing, scent management stuff, deer minerals, compound bows, mehanical releases, rangefinders, bipods, popup blinds, scrape drips, etc. no one made me do it though. It just gives me something else to do.

It is what you make it...if your considering dropping hunting, and want to point fingers to blame someone, make sure you are standing in front of a mirror.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Spike

Default x2

Originally Posted by NebBuckHunter
No one is making you buy all that stuff. Rifle season I use a 60 year old .300 savage model 99 with an old tasco scope, a pair of carhardt work bibs, and sit on a five gallon bucket.....

Now I also have bought some newer guns, with bigger scopes, better binocs, trail cameras, deer stands, camo clothing, scent management stuff, deer minerals, compound bows, mehanical releases, rangefinders, bipods, popup blinds, scrape drips, etc. no one made me do it though. It just gives me something else to do.

It is what you make it...if your considering dropping hunting, and want to point fingers to blame someone, make sure you are standing in front of a mirror.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never bought into horn hunting or spending a ton on the latest gimmicks...

I'll kill 4-5 does before killing a buck...My only centerfire rifle is a Ruger .243 that I bought new in 1980...Heck, even my truck is old...

I hunt for the enjoyment and to put some good meat in the freezer...I guess others don't...
Old 08-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

I can relate to your memories of hunting early in my life. We live and worked on my family dairy farm here in West Tenn. I can remember going to our hardware store and they would sell me a handfull of .410 shells. I spent every fall Saturday morning slipping as quietly as a 10 yr old could through several acres of hardwoods, man those trees seemed a mile high then. The smell of oak and hickory. With my hand in my down filled vest holding 4-5 of those shells, rolling them around in my hand. My other hand holding my bolt action savage .410.
I can remember the first deer I killed. A small basket rack 6pt. My father, a shell shocked Vietnam Vet. Never hunted from any tree stand. We were in a patch of honey suckle, watching several does mingle into a cut silage field, then there he was! It was a little foggy, squirrels making a ton of racket. Looking down that skinny barrel of that same old savage .410 , the bead covering his whole shoulder, shaking so bad. Then the shot. Dad said, with an expletive , " You missed him " then I waited, shaking uncontrollably while dad walked to the spot the young buck had been standing. With just a wave, dad had found hair. 75 yards later, I was crying, dad was hugging, and I think, his eyes were watering as well, we stood over my buck.
No matter what, I may have bought into the scent blocker, range finders, camo, all the new must have stuff. Every time I step out of my newer truck, put on my new backpack, grab that new bow or rifle, and head off into that familiar woods or field, that smell, oak and hickory, I immediately am transformed back to that time. Don't get me wrong, some of the stuff I still use is some the same old I had then, that savage for one, I do understand your thoughts on hunting in today's time. But I will never give up that feeling I get when get out there. Rest in peace, my dad, James Plunk Proud Vietnam Vet. You never let them win!
Old 08-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by invmp12
I can relate to your memories of hunting early in my life. We live and worked on my family dairy farm here in West Tenn. I can remember going to our hardware store and they would sell me a handfull of .410 shells. I spent every fall Saturday morning slipping as quietly as a 10 yr old could through several acres of hardwoods, man those trees seemed a mile high then. The smell of oak and hickory. With my hand in my down filled vest holding 4-5 of those shells, rolling them around in my hand. My other hand holding my bolt action savage .410.
I can remember the first deer I killed. A small basket rack 6pt. My father, a shell shocked Vietnam Vet. Never hunted from any tree stand. We were in a patch of honey suckle, watching several does mingle into a cut silage field, then there he was! It was a little foggy, squirrels making a ton of racket. Looking down that skinny barrel of that same old savage .410 , the bead covering his whole shoulder, shaking so bad. Then the shot. Dad said, with an expletive , " You missed him " then I waited, shaking uncontrollably while dad walked to the spot the young buck had been standing. With just a wave, dad had found hair. 75 yards later, I was crying, dad was hugging, and I think, his eyes were watering as well, we stood over my buck.
No matter what, I may have bought into the scent blocker, range finders, camo, all the new must have stuff. Every time I step out of my newer truck, put on my new backpack, grab that new bow or rifle, and head off into that familiar woods or field, that smell, oak and hickory, I immediately am transformed back to that time. Don't get me wrong, some of the stuff I still use is some the same old I had then, that savage for one, I do understand your thoughts on hunting in today's time. But I will never give up that feeling I get when get out there. Rest in peace, my dad, James Plunk Proud Vietnam Vet. You never let them win!
great post. thanks for sharing that.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Savage Sniper
great post. thanks for sharing that.
X2!