Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

PIGS PIGS PIGS

Old 09-06-2003, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default PIGS PIGS PIGS

Do pigs drive deer away? I seem to have alot of pigs that have moved on
my lease this year, do they hurt the deer population. Some people have told
me that a mature bore will actually drive deer away, any advice would be helpful.
Old 09-06-2003, 08:34 PM

Default RE: PIGS PIGS PIGS

I have hog hunted for many years and own a good pack of hog dogs. I do a lot of baiting for both deer and hogs. I also have " deer stands" and " hog stands" and in my area (South Carolina) that you dont see many deer when sitting in one of the hog stands and visa versa. I have never seen a deer visit a corn pile that the hogs eat out of. Hogs can also compete with deer for food. Because what I have learned over the years, I do my hog hunting and my deer hunting on two different pieces of property. This may not be the same everwhere but this is how it works out for me. Also, if hogs ever get established on your property, you will have a real hard time thinning them out. I know there is a large hog population in your state and if it were me, I would contact somebody about trapping the hogs or running them with dogs. Still hunting hogs just isnt effective enough to control the population. If you do not know anybody in your area with dogs or if you want some ideas on traps, go to www.baydog.com for more help. I hope this helps!!
Old 09-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hogs are not a big problem here in Mo. in most places, but I know this year in the deer hunting pamplet out conservation dept. puts out it gives us specific directions to shoot all feral hogs on site, no limit or special permit needed so there must be something about hogs thats not good for other wildlife.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hogs are probably one of the worst things you can have in the deer woods. They will obliterate the food supply, especially in low mast years. If you havn' t have hogs in your area and one day see a sow hog and a 12 point in the plot at the same time, shoot the dang hog.