Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
The High Protein For Antler Growth >

The High Protein For Antler Growth

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The High Protein For Antler Growth

Old 08-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default The High Protein For Antler Growth

I have done a fair share of research and experimenting the past few years on this topic and have found some interesting thoughts/ideas from various articles. The one thing that gets me is that many of the attractants/mineral supplements on the market concentrate on protein level. Protein does not grow antlers from everything I've read. Sure it helps in keeping deer healthy, blah blah blah. However antlers are made up of calcium and phos mostly, along with other sorts or trace minerals and vitamins. If you would agree with this then tell me why companies market their product to grow these huge antlers when in fact their product contains very little calcium and phos???? Seems they have some of the public brainwashed on the whole idea that protein puts on bone. Don't get me wrong, protein is needed for herd health, etc but from everything I've read it does very little on actually growing antlers. Soooooo, I'm curious to get everyones thoughts on this topic as I'm sure I opened up a can of worms but I'm really wanting to see the responses. Another thing while I'm on this topic is the idea of salt. Many other products on the market are made up of mostly salt and claim they will help grow bigger bucks. B.S. Sure deer love salt but it does little to nothing in aiding in antler growth. My main message is make sure you know what your buying before you buy it!!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by huskrhuntr74
I totally agree, Phosphorus and Calcium make up most of the bucks antlers, protein helps, but not that much though, what part of state u from?
South of Lexington. You?
Old 08-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Spike

Course ground salt, trace mineral, and phosphorus is what I use all deer need these for there bone health including does. Must be good because the hole i keep refreshing each spring and late summer keeps getting bigger every year.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used a mix of di-calcium phosphate, a calcium supplement intended for use with dairy cattle and plain NaCl (salt) for decades. Not always able to get the dairy stuff. No real formula except keeping the NaCl to no more than about 50% of the mix by weight. Works great. No monster antlers to speak of .... but the deer sure hit the lick areas hard.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

Great comments. It really just depends on what a guy is looking for. If your looking for something to get deer in front of your cams then salt and di cal work great and are cheap!! Nothing wrong with water softner salt tabs either if that the route you want to take. I guess my main point is that its just interesting to see how the marketing schemes are setup to make people think that its mostly about protein. Protein, protein, protein. Of course there are a few products that are not doing this but seems like there is quite a bit of hype. I have tried all kinds of different things and have probably put too much thought into it but its fun to research. To each their own I guess. I have put together my own mixture that I have mix by the local feed mill. Much cheaper than buying in the store for $30 for a 40lb bag or whatever it is. Thanks for the comments. Keep them coming as I love topic and seeing what everyone thinks.