Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
First time hunter any advice??? >

First time hunter any advice???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First time hunter any advice???

Old 08-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Spike

Default First time hunter any advice???

I live in florida plan on hunting the WMA's around here, got quota permits for blackwater northwest florida and green swamp east. I bow hunt and gun hunt I have trail cams set seen few deer just need some advice from people thats been hunting for a while. Im pretty familiar with green swamp do alot of scouting out there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Spike

Don't fall out of your stand.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gotta be in the field to get one.

Good Luck
Old 08-08-2012, 06:21 AM
Spike

Research your area, watch your cams and go with your gut! Good Luck!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Spike

Default little advice

Taking that you are new to hunting, I will offer a few suggestions, from my many years of hunting.
First, plan ahead with safety upmost in your mind. Learn some basic first aid, and survival skills, prepare a pack to carry in with you with the minimum of stuff (I over pack) and make sure someone knows where you are going and when you are returning. If you are going to use a climber, make sure it's in good condition and you have a good safety harness.
I take with me, a small first aid kit, rope, pee bottle, bug juice (off makes little foil packets) compass, kleenex (two purposes, one personal needs, the other tracking) knife, water, binoculars, lighter, candy bar, cell phone, poncho, pruning shears, flashlights (head lamp and hand light), small camera, and some other things I can't think of right now.
For archery hunting make sure your broadheads are super sharp.
Make sure you know the rules and regs of the area you are hunting.
Don't leave anything of value in your vehicle (thieves are everywhere).
Don't rush your shot.
As you are hunting a state where you are not the top of the food chain, be careful. Gators and big cats consider you food. If possible hunt with a partner.
Keep a diary.
Good luck.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jstgsn
Taking that you are new to hunting, I will offer a few suggestions, from my many years of hunting.
First, plan ahead with safety upmost in your mind. Learn some basic first aid, and survival skills, prepare a pack to carry in with you with the minimum of stuff (I over pack) and make sure someone knows where you are going and when you are returning. If you are going to use a climber, make sure it's in good condition and you have a good safety harness.
I take with me, a small first aid kit, rope, pee bottle, bug juice (off makes little foil packets) compass, kleenex (two purposes, one personal needs, the other tracking) knife, water, binoculars, lighter, candy bar, cell phone, poncho, pruning shears, flashlights (head lamp and hand light), small camera, and some other things I can't think of right now.
For archery hunting make sure your broadheads are super sharp.
Make sure you know the rules and regs of the area you are hunting.
Don't leave anything of value in your vehicle (thieves are everywhere).
Don't rush your shot.
As you are hunting a state where you are not the top of the food chain, be careful. Gators and big cats consider you food. If possible hunt with a partner.
Keep a diary.
Good luck.
Very good advice...well said. Most of all have a great time!!
Old 08-11-2012, 12:25 AM
Spike

Default RE:

First of all get an idea about the hunting sphere so that you could locate the right place to wait for the prey, then ensure you are equipped with right hunting tools with camera to observe your prey.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmm. Just from my own experiences and my observations of others, most of us probably start out with a certain amount of knowledge of our quarry's habits, the terrain we plan to hunt, along with varying degrees of skills with rifles, bows, and with fieldcraft. Unless you're hunting with a mentor, it's highly likely that your first encounter with a deer is going to be more "accidental" than it is "intentional". As your hunting skills improve, that will reverse itself.

My advice would be to find someone who hunts who'll take you along with them. It's never the best idea to hunt alone, anyway. You'll probably find out what gear is essential and what gear is marketing hype. You'll find out what kind of physical condition you need to be in for the terrain you're hunting. Most importantly - you'll have someone to ask questions of directly.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by homers brother
My advice would be to find someone who hunts who'll take you along with them.
This. Find a mentor, even if it's someone that doesn't directly hunt with you, that you can bounce questions off of. You'll learn far more and learn faster from a seasoned hunter than any number of books, forums, videos, etc. Those are all good, but nothing replaces the face-to-face advice of someone that knows what they're doing.