Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
do deer like wide open swamp fields >

do deer like wide open swamp fields

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

do deer like wide open swamp fields

Old 08-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Spike

Default do deer like wide open swamp fields

I have a large area in a swamp with no trees and grassy mossy bedding would that be a place deer would bed down should I put a stand near there
Old 08-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

I've heard of giant bucks being shot there because it's a secluded area that most hunters won't try to hunt.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by iayotehunter
I've heard of giant bucks being shot there because it's a secluded area that most hunters won't try to hunt.
After the first shots of hunting season, Big Bucks will seek out the safest place where peopl won't go. I shot Many bucks just laying in tall grass watching every one walk by. A swamp is the perfect place for a buck to see and not be seen!
Old 08-11-2012, 05:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jkhunter98
I have a large area in a swamp with no trees and grassy mossy bedding would that be a place deer would bed down should I put a stand near there

Pull up an aerial view of the area you plan to hunt. Look for brushy areas and transition lines (areas where two different types of terrain meet i.e. cattails and brush), the deer tend to follow transition lines. Deer won't bed in "swamp water", but they will bed in little dry humps in the middle of marshes. When scouting or hunting follow the transition lines and look for sign of bedding (harder to find this time of year).

If you haven't scouted the land, I would do that now. Another tactic would be to walk in with a stand on your back during the season (following the transition line) and setup when you see good sign. It's hard to go into any depth on this subject on a forum. Order "Marsh Bucks" from the huntingbeast.com...............it will be the best $15 dollars you will ever spend!
Old 08-11-2012, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunted swamps

Might not be a greater number of deer, but it had deer rather rarely bothered by hunters. Snakes and swamps don't wear well on many hunters.