Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what to do?

Old 07-31-2012, 04:34 PM
Spike

Default what to do?

i went scouting this weekend and found a goo d place but not sure where i should locate the stand. its a bottom filled with white oak acorns with a ridge that has 2 huge white oak acorn trees on it and a beatin down trail on a bench on the ridge that leads to another acorn flat. Their are several old hookings in the bottom. But my question is do i hunt the bottom with all the old hookings and white oaks or the ridge with the bench that has to big white oaks on it? thanks
Old 07-31-2012, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends. Location of bedding area, time of day , mast production, prevailing winds, travel patterns, etc.....
Old 08-01-2012, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

1st, I'm assuming that you are bow hunting and not gun. As Tundra said, there are many factors to determine where to hunt. Also assuming that there is not a suitable spot between the bottom and ridge where you could hunt both. How big is the bottom? Is it big enough that you can get a stand there and not have your deer traveling directly underneath you? If it has ridges all around the bottom, the wind is likely going to swirl in the bottom. Not that you can't hunt it, but it will make it harder. If you can put up 2 stands to cover both locations would be ideal. If not, then I would try to focus my attention on the bottom. But you may not want to be directly in the bottom. If you can get slightly up a ridgeside, facing to the bottom. A little more info on the areas (size of the bottom)(surrounding terraine) will help.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Spike

Default re

its about a 75 yard bottom with a ridge on one side, but the bottom is in the middle of four blocks of timber, and the ridge goes flat and connects to another ridge again.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

Is there a funnel area that goes to a bedding area, if so try that but stay out of the bottom if possible.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Spike

Default re

the bottom is the funnel, it funnels between a acre circle field and the ridge, but im pretty sure their bedding in a cutover and coming through and feeding to other acorn flats.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Spike

Well you need to look at the size of limb the buck hooked and that will helpyou bigger limbs hooked means bigger deer.but wilthat white oak too I would say the bottom but hunt the ridge too because you never know.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

One thing to keep in mind, as a given, the thermals. Not the ones you wear, thermals are natural air movements. As a given, in the mornings, thermals will move up, in the afternoons, they move down. With a small wind that is made noticeable. To play the wind, ridge early, bottom late. If there is a wind, you may have issues with a swirl, that is where other issues come into play. Myself, some don't, but I would be doused in Scent Killer, Scent Blocker, all the normal steps that I take to be as scent free as possible, and just hunt. Sometimes you just do all that you can, but it's still called hunting not killin. Best of luck, but hunt it. You'll figure it out.