Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
I'd like to start deer hunting: advice >

I'd like to start deer hunting: advice

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I'd like to start deer hunting: advice

Old 07-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Spike

Default I'd like to start deer hunting: advice

Hello everyone!

I've been wanting to get into deer hunting for a few years now. I've been on a rifle squad and am a generally good target shooter, but hunting animials is completely new to me.

My question is this: I do not and cannot own a gun based on my living situation. I also don't think I'll be able to afford a $500 rifle in the future, regardless. (Which seems to be the price for the better hunting rifles at Cabela's.) Is there any way to become involved in hunting, otherwise, or should I just wait five or so years up the road to pursue this as a hobby? Are there community clubs or trips out there, for people like me?

I'm mostly interested in deer hunting because I figure if I'm going to pay for a liscene, I might as well get some meat out of it; that would actually break even, IMO.

Thanks in advance,

Kate

http://katiemcginnis.wordpress.com
Old 07-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by katiemcginnis
I do not and cannot own a gun based on my living situation.
why...............
Old 07-27-2012, 02:07 AM
Spike

Is bow hunting an option??
Old 07-27-2012, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you need to find a hunting partner that is willing to let you borrow a gun for now. Whne you are able to buy one, hopefully you could store it at the partner's house, until your situation changes.

There are lots of guns, shotguns and rifles, new and used, that can be had for less than 500.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can get a pretty credible deer hunting rifle for way less than $500 by buying used. It takes a long time to learn to hunt if you have to learn on your own. You might try to cut down the learning curve by finding someone to tag along with, even without a gun, just to learn the process. Start with squirrel hunting. To me, the best training for deer hunting is squirrel hunting. There is a lot more to hunting than just shooting. By the way, welcome to the forum.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:23 AM
Fork Horn

Get a bow. Practice. Start hunting squirrels 1st. You will have success, and it will help you become a better deer hunter down the road.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

As DB mentioned...maybe You should get started in Bow Hunting?You can learn to shoot one and Hunt with it,go to 3-D Shooting Competitions and learn the outdoors that way.Another thing to get in to would be runing a trail camera and getting pic's of misc wildlife Deer etc...!
Old 07-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Katie did you get a bow and were you shooting in New Hampshire at Monadnock yesterday? i met a girl that was new with her boyfreind and daughter there yesterday shoot her name was katie just wondering
Old 07-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tundra10
why...............
convicted felon?

Come now katie , fess up. Unanswered = RED Flag......
Old 07-31-2012, 05:57 AM
Spike

You can bow hunt but you don't need a lot of money to get a gun single shot shotguns are 80 bucks at a pawn shop but make shure that you have a hunting licence

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.